Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Area Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompagnied/non-family duty station
Availability: 1st of December 2019 or earliest hereafter.
Overall Purpose of the Role
- The Area Manager is responsible for the coordination, management, development and representation of DRC programming in Borno State - Nigeria.
- The role is a key position for DRC Borno and Yobe State. The position is a full member of the extended senior management team.
- S/he is expected to be able to work independently under the authority delegated by the Country Director, bring solid management and leadership skills to the job, and the ability to engage and represent DRC with local authorities and other stakeholders.
- The post will be based in Maiduguri - Borno State - with frequent and extended trips to Damaturu. ideally 80% Maiduguri and 20% Damaturu.
- The Area Manager is also expected to travel to the deep field offices that includes Mafa, Ngala and Bama - occasionally.
- Management: Provide, coordination and integration, together with the HoPs DRC, DDG and other senior staff, of DRC activities in the area including, but not limited, to protection, emergency response, food security and WASH;
- Representation: Act as the main DRC representative in the Borno and Yobe States and attend all relevant forums/meetings including active participation in the Humanitarian Regional Team (HRT) with the objective to strengthen DRC's position in the area; as well as Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy and acceptance in the area;
- Safety and Security: Ensure adherence to security procedures and monitoring developments in the security situation;
- Finance and Administration: Provide budget monitoring of assigned budgets, financial control in compliance with DRC country office requirements and as per the Operations Handbook;
- Reporting: Ensure compliance with internal reporting requirements and participate in the DRC internal coordination mechanisms as required.
- Accountability: Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and suggest relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of DRC activities in the area.