DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.
Job Title: Area Manager
Locations: Borno and Yobe
Contract type: Expatriate contract
- We are currently looking for a highly qualified and motivated candidate to take up the position of Area Manager for Borno and Yobe states in Nigeria in a highly collaborative and emulating work environment
About the job
- You will be responsible for the coordination, management, development and representation of DRC programming in Borno and Yobe states, with a focus on Borno state, Nigeria.
- The position requires a high degree of responsibility, flexibility and understanding of complex organisational charts including horizontal liaising among different senior managers.
- You will be reporting to the DRC Country Director.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- In coordination with the HoSS, you will oversee administration (HR/Finance), logistics (Procurement, Supply) and support programme implementation.
- Ensure that field teams are prepared to respond to emergencies and ensure the safety and security of DRC staff and assets in her/his area of responsibility.
- Assist the Programme Managers and follow-up on the technical departments field work
- Provide, together with Head of Programmes DRC and DDG, coordination and integration of DRC activities in the area including, but not limited, to protection, emergency response, food security and WASH;
- Direct line management of the non-programme staff (HR, Finance, Logistics & Procurement, and Safety) based in Borno and Yobe States – including recruitment, coaching, capacity building and ensuring interdepartmental co-ordination;
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the senior management team members based in Abuja, Yola and and fellow Area Managers in other states.
- Encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the Borno and Yobe State teams.
- Act as the main DRC representative in Borno & Yobe State and attend all relevant forums/meetings including active participation in the Humanitarian Regional Team (HRT) with the objective to strengthen DRC’s position in the area;
- Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy and acceptance in the area;
- Identify and build relationships with authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area.
Safety and Security:
- Ensure adherence to security procedures and monitoring developments in the security situation;
- Actively support the country safety department to develop and regularly update the local security plan for his/her area of responsibility;
- Be a member of and/or actively support the Crisis Management Team as required and if requested;
- Develop and maintain a security focal persons’ network in his/her area of responsibility.
Finance and Administration:
- Provide budget monitoring of assigned budgets, financial control in compliance with DRC country office requirements and as per the Operations Handbook;
- Ensure necessary systems in procurement are followed according to DRC Operations Handbook for all projects in the state.
Reporting & Accountability:
- Ensure compliance with internal reporting requirements and participate in the DRC internal coordination mechanisms as required.
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and suggest relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of DRC activities in the area.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply
Note: All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.