The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (www.icrc.org) is an independent humanitarian organisation, neutral and impartial. Maiduguri Sub-Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Armed and Security Forces (FAS) Adviser
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the Supervision of the Head of Sub delegation, the FAS Adviser is the local FAS file-holder on issues related to the ICRC's dialogue with arms carriers in armed conflicts and other situations of violence, providing support to the Sub-delegation in terms of networking with relevant military and security authorities, as well as with the planning, coordination and execution of International Humanitarian Law/International Human Rights Law training and dissemination activities.
- Concurrently, he supports the MIU Sub-delegation in shaping its dialogue on Conduct of Hostilities and Detention with the military authorities in the Northeast.
- Finally, the FAS Adviser supports the setting of sub-delegation’s communication priorities, objectives and strategies, as well as the planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of its communication activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises the Head of Sub-Delegation MIU on all matters concerning the best way to relate with the military hierarchy of the AFN (Armed Forces of Nigeria) HQ (headquarters), commands and units deployed in the NE (North East);
- Contributes to the analysis of the military and security situation, as well as of all issues related to the use of force and its impact in terms of humanitarian consequences and ICRC operations;
- Proactively takes steps to expand the networking base with relevant military interlocutors who can ensure better and deeper collaboration between the Sub-Delegation and the military in the North East;
- In coordination with the Military and Armed Groups Unit/ABJ, organises IHL/IHRL dissemination and training activities - including case studies and pre-deployment training – with AFN HQ, commands and units garrisoned or deployed in the NE;
- Supports the Management and Protection Unit in developing and sustaining a dialogue on conduct of hostilities with relevant military operational commanders in the NE;
- Acts as a relay between the Sub-Delegation and the PGE Unit/ABJ concerning the PGE program and file;
- Organising and conducting IHL/IHRL dissemination and training sessions, including case study, for AFN and LE Agencies’ personnel deployed in the North East (30%).
- Advising - under the technical guidance of the MAG/ABJ HoU - the SD/MIU Management on all matters concerning the ICRC’s dialogue with military authorities in the NE (20%).