The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Abuja Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Armed and Security Forces (FAS) Assistant
Based in Abuja, the FAS Assistant integrates the MAG Unit team of the FAS Department, contributing to its networking activities, as well as to the planning, preparation, execution and evaluation of International Humanitarian Law/International Human Rights Law dissemination and training activities as per Military and Armed Groups Unit/ABJ Plans of Action. Additionally, he supports Protection Department efforts to propel dialogue on Conduct of Hostilities and Detention with key military interlocutors, and carries out activities in support of other departments and field structures, as determined by the Head of the MAG (Military and Armed Groups) Unit.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of a network of key interlocutors who can ensure better and deeper collaboration between the ICRC and the AFN (Armed Forces of Nigeria);
- Contributes to the analysis of the security situation and military operations, as well as to its impact in terms of humanitarian consequences and ICRC operations;
- Contributes to the planning, preparation, conduction and evaluation of IHL/IHRL dissemination and training activities, including case studies; submits activity and situation reports, as required;
- Contributes to the planning, preparation, conduction and evaluation of activities with Community Defence Groups on relevant law, command responsibility and best practices;
- Acts as MAG Unit/ABJ interface with other departments and field structures, as required;
- Planning, preparation and execution of IHL/IHRL training and disseminations activities with the Armed Forces of Nigeria and Law Enforce Agencies (50%)
- Conducting IHL/IHRL training/dissemination activities for troops deployed in conflict or violence-ridden areas or during their
- pre-deployment training (PDT) in the Nigerian Army Training Centre (NATRAC) in Kontangora, in the Special Forces Training Centre in Buni Yadi, or any other PDT centre used by the AFN (30%).
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.