The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Professor
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Department: Politics and International Studies
Hours: Full Time
Duration: 2 / 3 Years Renewable
Starting Date: August, 2020
- AUN is seeking a motivated Assistant Professor in the department of Politics and International Studies who will be responsible for teaching, research and community service as may be requested by the Dean. The candidate contributes to preparing students to be applied, critical thinkers and problem solvers through innovative teaching and research
- S/he will work closely with the Chair and Dean of the school in formulating and implementing course structures that would translate to effective teaching and learning of courses in line with the development philosophy of the American University of Nigeria. Asides the teaching responsibilities, the successful candidate is also expected to contribute to the department’s administration and scholarly work by carrying out and disseminating high quality research.
- The post-holder will be required to instruct courses, both introductory and advanced levels, including and advanced courses to his or her area of expertise
- The successful candidate will possess a PhD in Political theory with the capacity to also teach courses in comparative politics and peace and conflict resolution or related discipline and established, or potential to establish, record of excellence in teaching, research and service.
- Candidates should possess a strong record of academic publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals, commensurate with career stage. International experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required. The right candidate must have a strong command of English language.
- Develop, prepare and deliver teaching in political theory courses with the capacity to also teach courses in comparative politics and peace and conflict resolution or related discipline.
- Conduct research and publish papers in rigorous peer-reviewed journals.
- Promote the department’s research and scholarly activities by presenting research findings in seminars and conferences.
- Supervise student research projects.
- Lead or be part of other committees aimed at promoting research, curriculum development, staff welfare etc.
- Contribute to AUN’s community service and development.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.