The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- IITA seeks to recruit an Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist. The overall objective of the position is to lead strategic and applied research on market economics on IITA mandate crops and related activities.
- The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists and biophysical scientists as needed such as agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists.
- He/she will be a member of the IITA Social Science and Agribusiness Core Competency. He/she will report to the Senior Agricultural Economist and to Director of Western Africa Hub.
- Conduct market economic studies of commodities along the value chain.
- Monitor economic changes in agriculture in relation to the markets and vice versa.
- Devise methods and procedures to conduct different types of markets surveys and value chain assessments.
- Create, as well as use, various econometric modeling techniques to develop forecasts.
- Apply models of economic behavior to agricultural markets changes and developments.
- Promote market development using experimental economic methods.
- Develop business plans for project and activities in commodity value chains.
- Establish and foster relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Provide technical backstopping and assistance in building capacity of national programs in research on market economics.
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research.
- Publish scientific outputs in peer reviewed IF journals and others (e.g. technical reports, IITA bulletins, or social media and books or book chapters).
- Contribute to resource mobilization through development of concept notes and proposals in collaboration with others.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.