At Chemonics, we believe our mission of helping people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives is driven by our commitment to service-service to our mission, to our beneficiaries, to our clients, and to our staff. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners, and beneficiaries face difficult challenges, from political instability to limited healthcare to a lack of market infrastructure. We have helped them overcome those challenges by working together to find and implement innovative projects that achieve development impact. We are entirely employee-owned, giving us both the freedom and the responsibility to pursue our mission with single-minded focus. Holding ourselves to the highest quality standards, we are also committed to living our values of caring, excellence, innovation, integrity, and opportunity to implement efficient and effective programs that build a better future for those we serve.
Job Title: Bookkeeper
- Chemonics International, a leading international organization based in Washington, D.C., seeks a Bookkeeper for the USAID funded Strategic HIV/AIDS Response Program (SHARP) Task Order 03 activity in Nigeria.
- This activity aims to identify and support proven interventions through improvement of service delivery and strengthening health systems with an expanded effort with the Government of Nigeria (GON) in Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Jigawa, Kano and Yobe States.
- The objectives of the activity include 1) Targeted and efficient HIV and TB case identification and linkage to care and treatment; 2) Enrollment of patients on HIV/AIDS therapy with adequate adherence and minimal loss to follow-up; 3) Successfully suppress HIV viral load; and 4) Increase GON capacity to expand, coordinate and finance HIV/AIDS and TB services.
- This position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Maintain a proper accounting department, checking the project’s internal control system to ensure that the policies and procedures are being adhered to, including to:
- Prepare checks, receipts, and journals;
- Review all accounting records for accuracy and legitimacy.
- Review payments before secondary review or approval from his/her supervisor and/or designated approvers.
- Enter data entry of all approved vouchers into ABACUS (the Chemonics Field Office accounting system).
- Review cash balances daily and support the preparation of wire transfer requests.
- Prepare and process payroll, ensuring that payroll forms are accurate and fully completed on time monthly.
- Prepare cash reconciliation at the end of each month to close the month’s books and submit to the home office.
- Maintain ABACUS and prepare monthly project locals according to project guidelines.
- Supervise petty cash management, including verification and review of petty cash payments for accuracy, legitimacy, and reconciliation of remaining cash with the Finance Manager whenever replenishment is required.
- Track staff annual leave, sick, and holiday leave balances.
- Maintain accurate timesheet records and ensure all timesheets are submitted on time with the correct approval.
- Review project staff expense reports for accuracy.
- Track sub-ledger balances, including receivable accounts for individual staff ensuring that outstanding travel advances are settled before issuing new advances.
- Assist Finance Manager in maintaining communication and coordination with home office accounting unit.
- Assist the Finance Manager and project leadership in ensuring all Nigeria-specific accounting and tax requirements are met.
- Assist in grants selection and administration
- Fosters and demonstrates a workplace inclusive of creating opportunity, serving others, building trust, innovation and exceeding expectations.
- Perform additional tasks as required by the Finance Manager, Finance and Operations Director and project leadership.