Farm Innovation Nigeria Limited was birthed to develop innovative solutions that see farmers improve their processes, increase their yield and subsequently increase their income. We provide a range of services including Research, Agribusiness development, E-extension services and Agric value chain development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Business Development Consultant
- As an organization, our mission is to change the African agricultural narrative by building successful Agri-preneurs through increased access to information, markets, resources and affordable Agtech products. Our vision is to be Africa’s foremost hub and catalyst for Agricultural technology innovations and as such, we work in partnerships with state and non-state actors (public, private and other stakeholders within the social structure) in channeling benefits to the remotest communities across Nigeria.
- Farm Innovation recognizes that there is need for smallholder farmers to access information on locally-adapted best management approaches, as well as the need to promote an appropriate enabling environment (e.g. policies/incentives, financial services, human/social capital). Through its approach to agricultural innovation – research and technology, Farm Innovation is already making significant contributions towards making its vision a reality.
- Part of what we have done through partnership with Propcom Mai-karfi to better serve the smallholder farming communities is the development of a platform that connects actors in the agricultural value chain. The ultimate goal for the development of this product is for farmers in especially the post conflict areas of the North East to have improved productivity leveraging technology to access extension services.
- To support more efficient and better targeted information delivery systems that improve market linkages between market actors such as input companies and their customers through a central marketing platform, our product is designed to proffer services including; agri-input distribution platform, commodity pricing info, produce aggregation and linkage to market platform among others.
- We want to position ourselves as a major player in the global arena of food value chain, agtech and agribusiness development – implementing projects and programmes across states in Nigeria to support the development of value chains that promotes the inclusion of small holder farmers in national as well as regional and global markets.
- To do this end, Farm Innovation is seeking to hire an expert consultant that will drive revenue and facilitate the growth of Farm Innovation’s products and services through the establishment of partnerships with identified stakeholders as well as exploring untapped markets on a national and international scale.
Objectives of the Assignment
- The Business Development Consultant will support the team in developing a strategy for identifying or creating effective business models for our products, identify market opportunities, value chain constraints and a cost-benefit analysis of specific interventions along selected value chains.
Scope of Work
The consultant is expected to undertake the following:
- Identify current strengths and opportunities that complements Farm Innovation’s interest and interventions in value chain development
- Propose a USP that will position Farm Innovation as a major player in Agric value chain information dissemination
- Recommend foolproof interventions that Farm Innovation could offer, either as a complete or stand-alone package; or as individual components that complements/strengthens other existing work/services offered by other companies/organizations.
- Define how Farm Innovation’s position in the field of Agribusiness coupled with its proposed contributions/offerings would differ from and complement those of other major organizations working in the same area.
- Assess challenges in agricultural value chains and define those with strategic relevance to Farm Innovation’s mission, values, capabilities and track record.
- Analyze broad areas of interest of the major multi-lateral donors in the area of Agriculture for Development and ICT4D.
- Identify potential business opportunities that Farm Innovation could explore (both donor/private sector financed)
- Propose potential strategic partnerships Farm Innovation can leverage with donors and corporate entities in order to foster competition in its service offering
- Contribute to the collection and dissemination of relevant data and information about Farm Innovation via internet and other channels and mechanisms
Specific Job Functions
Sales Channel Development:
- Research markets and identify growth opportunities, prepare and participate in important meetings/negotiations.
- Generate demands, leveraging personal and corporate contacts: prospecting as a result of sales initiatives, sales programs campaigns & partner campaigns
- Prepare sales decks and manage relations with prospective clients, sector experts, business partners and potential funders and investors
- Develop pitch and attend pitching events
- Participate in relevant exhibitions in and out of Nigeria
- Prospect for various business growth opportunities within the Agric sector
- Attract 150M naira in product sales within the first year
- Develop business partnership with at least 5 major private sector partners and 10 international development partners
- Participate in at least 10 pitching events for the first year.
Grants and Partnership Development:
- The business development manager’s role will identify, cultivate and oversee an exciting portfolio of flagship partnerships. The partnerships will cut across private and public sector players, locally and internationally. This portfolio is expected to grow over time.
- Facilitate the development of proposals and/or decks and presentations to current and new prospective major donors, corporate, foundation, and/or government funders.
- Prepare introductions, letters of intent, grant requests/proposals, grant reports, sponsorship package copy, individual donor appeals, and similar fundraising materials as required.
- Lead grant strategy, overseeing grant writing and reporting and managing grant calendar
- Identify applicable funding opportunities (foundation, corporation and individual donor) and maintain a process of development, usage, and application. Interpret funding institution guidelines and requirements as well as review proposals for compliance with policies and procedures
- Conduct research to support FIN’s array of funding needs. Search and apply for innovative funding opportunities and significant developments and trends in Agric extension and ICT4D in general
- Provide periodic updates on fundraising progress, pipeline, and opportunities; creatively engaging the team on fundraising initiatives.
- Cultivate relationships and raise the visibility of Farm Innovation with key private sector partners.
- Facilitate 500M naira in Grant funding
- Submission of 20 grant requests and call for solicitation
- Deliver best-in-class content for the FIN’s product portfolio, supporting on content planning, acquisition, development and curation to support the delivery services.
- Source, acquire, develop and manage content development in support of product and marketing goals. Lead the implementation of the content strategy.
- Keep-up with competitive trends in content generation
- Provide timely and relevant editorial content for FIN via the creation of original content and sourcing of sector specific content
- Facilitate the dissemination of major publications through digital channels
- Develop content and storytelling strategy on FIN’s success stories
- Create and execute campaigns to promote FIN’s events throughout the year
- Ensure regular content for social media, blogs and newspaper postings
- Ensure FIN appears on daily newspapers for at least 5 times.
- The following are the expected outputs from the consultant:
- Grant opportunities for Farm Innovation
- Networks and partnerships with relevant organizations
- Markets for Farm Innovation’s products
- Media awareness for Farm Innovation
- Conference and exhibitions opportunities.
- The work is expected to commence by 1st December, 2020 and would be for a maximum of 6 months.