Baobab is an investment company whose mission is to create a group of leading microfinance banks and finance companies in at least 15 countries by 2015 that will provide financial services and savings products to entrepreneurs who lack access to the traditional financial sector. Baobab was created in July 2005 by PlaNet Finance, and other investors including International Finance Corporation, AXA Belgium, and Societe Generale, with the European Investment Bank, the French Development Agency and Developing World Markets Joining later.
We are recruiting to fill the available position below:
Job Title: Chief Compliance Officer
Direct Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
- The Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) oversees and manages compliance issues within their company or organization.
- The CCO ensures that the organization is in compliance with various regulatory requirements and that employees are in adherence with internal procedures and policies, Provides leadership, direction, and integration of compliance activities to fulfill Baobab MFB needs and state and federal regulations. Directs the formulation of strategic compliance planning in support of the Baobab's vision, mission and values.
- Directs integrated implementation and evaluation of compliance initiatives and on-going activities for compliance units, Dispute Resolution, and Internal Audit and other compliance partners as may be identified to serve future needs, Interfaces with senior administration, staff and government agency officials in the representation and development of various strategic compliance programs, policies, services and initiatives. Serves as the Baobab’s chief representative and advocate for excellence in compliance functions.
Duties And Responsibilities
- The CCO develops corporate policies and procedures needed by the company for compliance. The CCO will then need to communicate these policies and train employees, and should be able to attest to the company's and employees' compliance with these procedures and policies.
- The CCO also monitors compliance. They measure and evaluate the level of compliance across the entire organization. The CCO also investigates any incident or violations for legal or regulatory requirements.
- The CCO is tasked with reporting to the board on everything related to compliance (from policy development and monitoring to enforcement and implementation).
- The CCO coordinates with different departments including internal audit, employee services, and risk management, among others, to ensure that compliance issues are fleshed out, investigated, and resolved.
- The CCO should also be proactive in identifying potential vulnerabilities and be able to address these head-on with corrective measures. They also must be able to come up with proper guidance on how employees and the company can avoid similar situations in the future.
- Provides integrative leadership and strategic direction to various compliance units. Supervises unit directors, coordinates short- and long-term goals of participating units, oversees strategic budgeting within units.
- Solicits internal and external funding sources in support of the compliance mision.
- Provides strategic guidance and representation to leadership on changing governmental requirements in the areas of civil rights, affirmative action, equal opportunity, reporting obligations under the Clery Act, dispute resolution and internal auditing and reporting and related areas as may be identified in the future.
- Directs and oversees Baobab's integrated strategic compliance planning process, to include short and long term strategic plan development, review, approval, implementation and evaluation.
- Provides expert guidance, collaboration and support to the implementation process for key compliance strategies, initiatives and action plans.
- Leads the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to the various compliance areas of oversight in alignment with government laws and regulations.
- Plans, develops, monitors, revises and implements the Baobab's compliance initiatives in response to changes in the law; consults with various representatives as necessary to ensure program effectiveness.
- Directs and collaborates in the development of multifaceted compliance educational and training programs so that employees and management are knowledgeable of institutional policies and pertinent federal and state standards.
- Oversees compliance reviews in collaboration with constituent divisions, departments, and units. Interacts with senior management, staff and/or government agency officials, to represent and promote the development of strategic compliance programs to further university awareness on related initiatives.
- Directs the development of periodic compliance reports of the areas of oversight to other senior leadership members and various committees.
- Develops an ongoing campaign to heighten awareness of the various Baobab’s main compliance programs, disseminates compliance information and collects employee feedback as appropriate.
- Leads the development of internal reviews to assess university compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Oversees adequate record maintenance and processes are in place to document compliance efforts.
- Directs the assessment of targeted compliance issues, investigations, or potential problems. Serves as Baobab’s Security Authority as outlined by the Baobab Clery Act.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Board and the CEO.