Baobab is an investment company whose mission is to create a group of leading microfinance banks and finance companies in at least 15 countries by 2015 that will provide financial services and savings products to entrepreneurs who lack access to the traditional financial sector. Baobab was created in July 2005 by PlaNet Finance, and other investors including International Finance Corporation, AXA Belgium, and Societe Generale, with the European Investment Bank, the French Development Agency and Developing World Markets Joining later.
We are recruiting to fill the available position below:
Job Title: Chief Risk Officer
- As a member of the Executive Committee, the Chief Risk Officer identifies, quantifies and manages all the risks facing the company; helps minimize potential losses and achieve full profit potential of opportunities; and oversees the risk management activities and reinforces the risk management consciousness of the entire organization
- As a member of Executive Committee, the CRO is accountable to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for the effective management of enterprise risks through leadership of the Risk function
- The Affiliate CEO delegates authority to the affiliate CRO for executive leadership of the Risk Function to deliver the Risk Strategy for the affiliate, according to the Risk roles and responsibility and Chart of Loan Approval approved by the Board of Directors
- The Affiliate CRO may sub-delegate this authority as deemed fit, as long as the sub-delegation is recorded. However, the Affiliate CRO remains responsible for ensuring appropriate supervision where any authority is delegated
- The role holder is also empowered to manage costs and headcount within the budgets allocated to the function.
- Credit Risk Management: Review and approve loans according to the Chart of Loan approval;
- coordinate all recovery activities including through legal actions; control pre-disbursement conditions and loan contracts through the network of client advisors in the branches; frequently tracks credit risk indicators (approval rates, time to decision, vintage quality, PAR, losses …) and establish frequent reviews with team and stakeholders.
- Report on the affiliate risk position: Present the affiliate risk position to the affiliate CEO and Management Committee, the Group CRO, and the Risk Committee, including material concentration of risk highlighting market imbalances, and other external or outlook risks that could impact the Risk Appetite or Risk Profile of affiliate, under normal and stressed scenarios. Ensure the affiliate risk profile is appropriate to the external environment in the markets in which it operates.
- Strategy and Plan: In conjunction with the affiliate CEO, defines and sets affiliate’s Risk Appetite and Risk Profile for the local business that underpins Baobab strategy and business plans. Actively contributes to the Business Plan process (BP) and provides clear direction on the affiliate’s strategic goals, translating and prioritizing them into business and performance measures.
- Monitor and provide oversight, advice and challenge: Provide appropriate guidance, challenge and advice to the affiliate CEO and executive management on all risks that they own and that they have accountability to manage. Specifically for Market, Credit, Funding and Operational risk and all associated Key Risks.
- Leadership and Execution: Lead, manage and organize all risk resources to achieve the execution of the Baobab strategy, approved Risk plan, and adherence to Policies.
- Group Policies: Be accountable for the oversight of all enterprise risks. Oversee the implementation of risk control frameworks, policies and business standards aligned with Group policies and procedures in Credit, Market, Funding, and Operational risk. Monitor and report through the risk assessment process on the consistent application and effectiveness policies and business standards across the affiliate.
- Internal control: In partnership with the Compliance function, designs and implements an effective system of controls. This should include a clear organization structure, formal system of delegations of authority and accountability and a framework of supervision ensuring:
- Baobab Policies are implemented and consistently applied within the affiliate;
- All risks arising from any affiliate activities / services are proactively identified, assessed, controlled, reported, managed and challenged on a normal and stressed scenario basis and contingency plans are developed as appropriate;
- Processes and controls are designed to comply with Policies to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- the Risk Function is aligned to the affiliate’s system of internal control, operates as designed and effectively manages all risk types in accordance with Baobab Policies.
- Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF): Implement the ERMF (if and when developed by Group Risk team) for the management and oversight of all Enterprise Risks across the affiliate.
- Segregation of Roles & Duties: Responsible for ensuring that effective segregation of all significant roles and duties exists in the Risk Function.
- People & Organization: Lead, manage and develop Risk Function resources aligned to the affiliate in the most effective and efficient manner to execute the Risk Function’s Plan, including:
- Building a culture to deliver performance consistent with the values;
- Direct involvement in all Risk Function appointments and setting competencies for the roles;
- Designing remuneration structures for all Risk Function employees aligned to the affiliate remuneration guidelines;
- Defining performance objectives and remuneration structures for the Risk Function employees aligned to the affiliate guidelines and designed to achieve a balance between risk, individual reward and the long term objectives of Baobab;
- Inputting into the performance management process for Risk Function employees;
- Defining leadership, talent development and succession plans for main Risk Function employees.
- Citizenship and Reputation: Maintains effective relationships and deal openly with all key stakeholders, taking into account their needs and taking decisions which, in the long term, are positive for customers and clients, shareholders, colleagues and the communities in which Affiliate operates.
- Risk Culture: Responsible for embedding a clearly articulated risk culture within the Risk Function which reflects a constructive Risk management approach:
- Exercise independent and expert judgement;
- Exercise reasonable skill, care and diligence;
- Promote the success of the company;
- Avoid conflicts of interest and demonstrates high integrity.