Plan International is evolving in response to shifts in international development and humanitarian response. We are doing this so we can continue to make a stand for children’s rights. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. Having identified girls as the most marginalised group, they will be our ongoing focus as we work towards helping 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive within their communities. As we embark on this ambitious and exciting journey, we are recruiting for talent across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications & Advocacy Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (Travel required Frequent)
Reports to: Country Communication Advisor
- Under the general guidance of the Country Communication Advisor and with support from the Emergency Response Manager, the Communications & Advocacy Officer will be responsible for implementing the approved Plan International Nigeria integrated communications in emergency strategy.
Dimensions of Role
- The position will oversee the production of key and high quality offline and online multi-media communications resources that secure coverage in support of Plan International’s emergency work in Nigeria.
- This will help raise the profile of Plan International’s work nationally and internationally, in support of advocacy and fundraising goals while positioning Plan International to interact with key audiences and to promote the respect for childrens rights and welfare.
Strategy Implementation and Enhancement:
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated communications strategy and operating plan aligned to organizational priorities for outreach, income and impact.
- Build and manage a high-performance communications function that is structured, focused and staffed for productive and quality work.
- Monitor the context for challenges, risks, threats and opportunities related to the emergency context that may impact communications and public engagement approaches, messaging and operations
- Ensure Plan International’s rights- based programming approach and child protection policy are appropriately reflected in the emergency communication strategy, work plan and products.
- Oversee the management of the communications and guest relations department budget and resources.
- Ensure brand visibility, adherence to procedures, protocols and policies.
- Support High Profile/VIP visits to the organization to create, maintain and enhance the reputation and goodwill of the organization.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of our communications work
- Donor/Public Engagement Communications Management:
- Highlight the humanitarian situation on the ground, cover Plan International’s response and reinforce Plan International’s advocacy and policy positions in line with Global Strategy.
- Gather internal knowledge and transform it into a range of of compelling human interest child- focused content such as: case studies, eyewitness accounts, blogs, first person account, images, audio, video for sharing with all publics.
- Ensure access to content in high resolution formats in the global Media Bank
- Liaise with program point persons for media outreach activities such as drafting Op-Eds, quotes, press releases, media briefs, media pitches, multimedia content and organising media engagement activities around events, country visits, member meetings
- Support efforts for timely country office reports such as sit reps, weekly updates, and donor related materials.
- Lead all Public Relations Events.
- Oversee proactive in-country media engagement to generate proactive and positive news coverage as well as opportunities to raise the visibility of Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response).
- Prepare and position the Emergency Response Manager for important media opportunities and interviews that promote and protect the public image of Plan International Nigeria, while raising public awareness on key issues of children’s rights especially girls.
- Lead the process to identify, train and position other media spokespersons within Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) from the project-level to senior leadership as a strategic and appropriate way for responding to media inquiries and achieving positive coverage.
- Host and organise media trips to North-East Nigeria impact area and act as an advisor and support to press officers in affiliates who are working to deliver media coverage within their markets
- Develop a crisis communications management plan to protect the reputation of Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) from actual or potential media crisis.
Staff Engagement Internal Communications Management:
- Develop and deliver a staff engagement Communications strategy to ensure staff and volunteers Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) and the partnership at large are informed and engaged with the organizations work.
- Establish systems and safeguards for the appropriate and effective flows of relevant information to and from Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) staff when required.
Advocacy Communications Management:
- Work closely with the program specialists in defining key issues, messaging, and identifying appropriate communications channels for public advocacy initiatives.
- Support advocacy campaigns by engaging the media to gain exposure and credibility, managing media sensitivities and risks, and increasing public discussion and fundraising.
Communicating with communities:
- Develop and facilitate community-level Communications for Development (C4D) programming, together with appropriate project staff and community members, for the amplifying of Child and
- Community Voice that engages supporters and donors, and builds staff and community connections and life skills.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- The role will be supervised by the Country Communication Advisor with dotted reporting to the Emergency response manager
- The role will have frequent interaction with programme staff, partners, donors, media and stakeholders