UN Women - In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization's goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Associate
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-3
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In Nigeria, UN Women Country Office contributes to the development of Nigeria’s vision, and is aligned to United Nations Development Assistant Programme(UNDAP) as well as UN Women Strategic Plan. The Nigeria Country Office aims to achieve the following results: (i) increased women’s leadership and participation in governance; (ii) strengthened women’s economic empowerment; (iii) increased protection of women & access to justice for women; and (iv) strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
The Communications Associate will handle a variety of tasks that are designed to help promote UN Women Nigera public image and message. The Communications Associate will support UN Women Nigeria communications in implementing the UN Women communications strategy. S/he will provide communication and administrative support services to the team ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work, under the overall guidance of the Deputy Country Director and day to day direct supervision of the UN Women Communications Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the day to day direct supervision of the UN Women Communications Officer, the Communications Associate will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the development and implementation of a refined communications and advocacy strategy
- Support development of yearly communications plans, and update the plan on a weekly basis to track implementation of the communications strategy
- Contribute to the development of an innovative social media strategy involving in youth; and support roll-out, including on college campuses countrywide;
- Support implementation of the social media component of the communication strategy outlined in the communication plan
- Assist with the social media component of the HeForShe campaign nationally
- Gather content to write human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials in all media formats as appropriate for the website and newsletters
- Take photographs and videos for both traditional and web-based media.
- Knowledge Management: Establish and maintain a database for easy retrieval of knowledge products, photographs and videos (in consultation with the Knowledge Management Specialist). Establish/maintain an up-to-date documentation centre/repository for publications, press releases and feature stories, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials.
- Maintain and update media relations contact list/database. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media. Assist in developing and maintaining close collaboration with the media as well as with partners and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives. Prepare press releases and media advisories and briefs.
- Following up on the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g., films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.), and oversees the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translations, reviews of layout and graphic design.
- Work with the Management, Communications and appropriate staff to maintain UN Women Nigeria’s email distribution lists
- Assist Design templates, reports, branding, and print materials as needed
- Media monitoring of GEWE in the media through digital media platforms, including online news outlets in the country, and recommends appropriate action to maintain a positive image for the organization. Send out media monitoring report to the relevant audience. Analyze the monitoring on a quartley basis; share it with programme colleagues and include the analysis in the office reports
- Develop email newsletter in collaboration with the communication team, and develop and send out approved content updates for social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter daily or as needed for Nigeria webpage, and UN Women Africa platforms
- Representing UN Women Nigeria in the UN Communications Group and report back to the office
- Support organization of UN Women events like International Women’s Day, HeForShe Campaign, 16 days of Activism to End Gender-based Violence
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Development and implementation of a refined communications and advocacy strategy
- UN Women Nigeria’s work featured in UN Women African and HQ website, and social media
- UN Women Nigeria results translated into various attractive communication products
- UN Women communication products developed and regularly updated
- UN Women branding efforts supported
- Knowledge Products disseminated regularly