UN Women - In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization's goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Intern
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial duration of 3 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women has a mandate to lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. This includes providing strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
- In Nigeria, the UN Women Country Office supports the Nigerian Government to implement its development vision, aligned to United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNSDPF) as well as UN Women’s Strategic Plan.
- UN Women Nigeria seeks to engage a young, dynamic graduate to serve as an intern within its Communications team. The internship will initially be issued for a period of three months and, subject to good performance, may be extended for a further three months. The purpose of the internship is to give students the opportunity to have a first-hand experience for them to build their capacity as part of their studies and to also contribute to the work of UN Women.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Associate, the Communications intern will have the opportunity to learn how to provide communications support that ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. S/He will also have an opportunity to work in close collaboration with the Country Office staff to learn, exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
- Develop an understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Communications Associate, the intern will, the following tasks:
- Provide support to collect information, write and disseminate content (UN Women social media, newsletters, etc)
- Assist in the production of communication materials that showcase the added value and thought leadership of UN Women Nigeria
- Assist the communications team: in the organization of key outreach events like International Women’s Day, and other project events and opportunities
- Support in dissemination of information and publications;
- Participate in meetings and perform other communications/advocacy support tasks as required.