ActionAid works with poor people in over 40 countries across the world. Our goal? To end poverty. We believe in doing things differently. We know that with the right opportunities, poor people will find their own solutions - and build new lives. ActionAid Nigeria commenced programmatic operations in January 2000 after a Country appraisal which found poverty in the midst of plenty. We commenced work then through a Country Agreement signed with the National Planning Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Our works are currently spread across 26 states of the federation.
Job Title: Communications Intern
Contract: Short Term
Line Management: None
Reporting to: Communications Coordinator
- The Communication Intern’s position is an opportunity offered by ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) for young graduates to earn a post NYSC experience. It is therefore both a learning and value-adding relationship between interns and AAN.
- The intern is expected to take advantage of the space offered for experience gathering, self-development, while providing quality service to ActionAid Nigeria.
- The Communications Intern will be responsible for assigned communications roles including supporting the execution of the organisation’s communications strategy, social media strategy, managing organisation’s prioritised social media channels - including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and LinkedIn.
- S / he will liaise with the Communications Coordinator in providing support for the different thematic functions at AAN on publications, social media, publicity & press relations to drive the advocacy arm of AAN.
Support Campaigns and Communications activities:
- Provide support and participate in campaign activities directly handled in the unit
- Provide support and participate in all inter-thematic policy advocacy and campaign initiatives
- Provide support and participate in monitoring, documentation, dissemination and encouragement of critical debate, and mainstreaming of public policy advocacy.
- Support case study collections related to policy and campaigns works
Social Media Community Management:
- Work on the organisation’s social media platforms
- Work with the Communications Coordinator on all AAN online activities
- Work on seamless linkages of the organisation’s social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube LinkedIn and other social media platforms), ensuring uniform content and tone of voice for landing pages, graphics, and other elements
- Increase the number of followers we have on Twitter.
- Monitoring and replying to communications on the platforms under the guidance of Communications Coordinator.
- Posting information, uploading photos and videos on the platforms daily or as is directed by Communications Coordinator.
- Make use of relevant tools like Tweet Deck to plan for weekends and holidays; LinkedIn polls and surveys to build our social media footprint and reputation; and other tools like SlideShare, YouTube, Paper. Li, Scribd, Reddit, Digg and StumbleUpon.
- Work with relevant teams and projects’ leads to implement other channel-specific campaigns (e.g. uploading photos to Flickr, videos to YouTube, etc)
- Perform any other assigned responsibilities as it relates to the Communications hub and implementation of AAN Communications Strategy
- Internal Relationships: Entire AAN staff
- External Relationships: Media, Communications Consultants/service providers, CSOs, relevant Government agencies and partners