The United States Government, represented by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Computer Management Assistant
Solicitation No.: AID-620-S-00-19-00001-00
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Security Level Required: SBU
Basic Function of the Position
- Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Systems Manager, this position administers the Mission’s Information Technology system by providing optimal use of existing and new computer technology resources through a local area network (LAN) system.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations, installation, modification and maintenance of the Mission’s local area network (LAN) system, and for providing support to users and other related duties.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
User Support and Assistance - 40%:
- Responsible for first level problem determination, problem/incident recording, problem resolution and problem escalation to other IT personnel as necessary.
- Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and applications problems. Courteously obtains and conveys concise problem information for other IT personnel.
- Act as a liaison between Mission users and the IT unit to assure accurate problem interpretation. Maintain communications with users during the problem resolution process.
- Track the progress of requests and liaising as necessary with users.
- Resolve user-reported problems using advanced troubleshooting skills and any available tools, following Agency and Mission procedures and policies.
- Provides users with network IDs, creates user directories on the network, and sets up the correct access rights to network files and directories.
- Creates network user groups; i.e., which users share data. Develop system and user log-on scripts as well as user-friendly menus.
- Assists users resolve operational problems with the LAN, network application software, and standard applications installed on local hard disks, usage of mobile devices like iPhones, iPads and other mobile devices.
- Provide accurate and timely reports of problems and resolution of problems for review.
- Works with the Trainer/Analyst and the Systems Manager to develop user-friendly tips based on most common problem areas reported in the problem tickets.
- Identify available Help Desk training that will enhance and improve computing support delivered to Mission users.
LAN Operations, Installation, Modification and Maintenance - 30%:
- Performs and/or assists with installation of hardware, cabling and disk operating systems software.
- This may entail the setting of option board switches and jumpers, insertion of boards, and testing of the hardware. Components include uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), network interface cards, monitors, hard disks, power supplies for the cable concentrator, as well as all option cards for the cable concentrator.
- Installs and maintains off-the-shelf and local PC applications on both the file server and local hard disks. Performs diagnostic checks and trouble-shoots LAN hardware and software, and the cable racks (both voice and data).
- Repairs minor cable problems. Monitors telecommunications circuitry and resolves problems.
- Monitors LAN activity to determine adequacy of disk space on the file server, and whether memory must be increased there and on workstation PCs. Tracks all software installed on PCs to trace memory problems, use of disk space, etc. Performs required incremental periodic system backup procedures with a minimum disruption to users.
- Sets up access rights for users, sets file and directory attributes to protect shared files. Monitors use of network applications to determine need for additional hardware and software. Ensure that shared files reside only on the file server. Monitors use of shared peripherals such as laser printers.
- Assigns logical user groups and queue priorities, and monitors print servers and user queues for effectiveness.
- Diagnoses problems related to file server, cable racks, workstation PCs, and applications. Analyze memory problems and option card conflicts. Removes and replaces option boards, hard and floppy disks, and builds and/or repairs accessible cable segments as required. Uses network applications to track file server resources (memory and disk space) and data packet activity.
- Ensure adherence to system security procedures, including password protection and physical security. Maintain directory trustee assignments, log-on identifiers, and file and directory attributes to protect privacy and data integrity on a shared system. Advises users that system can process only up to sensitive but unclassified (SBU) materials and that no classified documents may or should be created or stored on PCs. Advises users about "virus" problems and their prevention.
- Ensures only authorized software is installed on PCs. Ensures that servers are backed-up regularly and storage for offsite disaster recovery is maintained.
- Serves as a point of contact for maintenance contractors to install and/or expand network system or correct deficiencies, with no ability to commit the US Government contractually without reverting to the Contracting Officer.
Administrative Tasks - 30%:
- Maintains inventory of all ADP related items including hardware, software, training materials, reference books and manuals, supplies, and spare parts. Maintain a database of computer hardware equipment and their serial numbers. Tracks original software and documentation and ensures proper registration and licenses. Upon receipt and installation of newly procured equipment, advises appropriate offices, as required, of installation dates for inventory update. Works with the Mission’s receiving clerk to provide technical input for receiving and disposing ADP equipment.
- Documents receipt of ordered items. Note any items which are missing, back ordered, damaged, etc., and advises appropriate offices or officials of problems.
- Develops and maintains familiarity with Agency and Mission programs, goals and work processes, and compares them to LAN capabilities and potential. Set up telecommunications sessions with headquarters and other offices for file transfer, E-mail, and/or diagnostic and trouble-shooting procedures. Work with Systems Manager to maintain Information Systems Security Plan and monitoring of WAN link.
Area Of Consideration:
- Nigerians and all individuals eligible to work in Nigeria with a valid Work permit.
- The work requested does not involve undue physical demands.