- Engagement of Youth Camp / Training Facilitators on Conflict Management and Peacebuilding
- Middle belt Youth Peacebuilding Academy (YPA)
Purpose of the Consultancy Assignment
- Plan International Nigeria, has received funding to implement Middle Belt Youth Peacekeeping Academy (YPA) Project from Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL)’s through the Plan International America (USNO) office.
- This project will consolidate the gains made so far in Kaduna State and expand into Plateau State, another critical area of the Middle Belt region. The project will seek to build inter-communal tolerance and trust through a two-year $888,750 program that strengthens the technical peacebuilding and project management skills of young leaders in 5 communities of Plateau State and work with them to launch initiatives that build tolerance and promote religious freedom in the target communities.
- Through this project, Plan will continue the work of the YPA in the five locations in Kaduna State and create a YPA in Plateau State which will serve as a center of excellence for 100 young leaders aged 18 to 35. Through peer to peer mentoring and coaching using PlanТs already existing peacebuilding approaches, this project will develop the technical and project management skills of YPA participants for them to design and lead interfaith peacebuilding processes.
- The project will also serve as a venue for young leaders in Kaduna and Plateau States to meet with other young leaders from different ethnic, religious, and social backgrounds to exchange ideas and experiences to enhance their peacebuilding initiatives. Plan Nigeria and two local Nigerian interfaith partners will recruit six cohorts for the YPA, each comprising young leaders from respective target communities of Kaduna and Plateau States. This will ensure the inclusion of young leaders from diverse backgrounds including different ethnic and religious communities, social environments, genders, and those at different points within the YPA age range.
- This project will develop the abilities of selected young leaders in Kaduna and Plateau States to design and lead their own initiatives that build peace and tolerance in their communities. These initiatives are intended to strengthen the freedoms of thought, conscience, and religion by building social inclusion through awareness and tolerance of differing religions, beliefs, and non-beliefs. The project will also support increased inter-communal trust, slow recruitment and support for violent religious extremists and other armed non-state actors, and reduce the likelihood that individuals will escalate isolated conflict into broader violence. To achieve these goals, this project has two main objectives:
- Increase peacebuilding, project management, and conflict management skills among youth of Kaduna and Plateau States; and
- Increase opportunities for youth-led action to build inter-communal tolerance and ааааааа peace in targeted communities.
Roles and Responsibilities of Facilitators
- To provide the Youth Peace Academy Cohorts members requisite skills to drive change, peace building, conflict prevention and conflict transformation in their communities and also gain capacity for organising, mobilizing and project management
- The Consultant(s) will work at and deliver on the below stated deliverables and objectives
- Planning meeting with Plan Nigeria; review background documents, agree on training design and content with detailed methodology and timelines.
- Submission of draft guide and manual for Plan International Nigeria comments/review
- Pre-testing of developed training materials
- Production of Training Manual
- Training of Cohorts members
Conduct the training of the cohorts members with the view to:
- Increase the effectiveness of youth workers, change-makers, peace-builders and activists through holistic peace-building approaches in their respective communities.
- Enhance participantsТ understanding of peace education through a holistic and experiential approach in order to explore existing structures and obstacles for peace in order to respond with creative and innovative solutions.
- Establish a sustainable cooperation between participants to implement common activities aiming to build infrastructures of peace within their communities.
- Adapt from a previously developed manual for the purpose of youth peace academy, a fit-for-purpose manual (curricular) on youthТs engagement on peacebuilding, conflict and project management on the following areas:
- Drivers of Intolerance
- Role of Youth in Building Peace and Tolerance
- Conflict Prevention and Resolution
- Public Communications
- Use of popular media (i.e. story-telling, theatre i.e. play development, social activities, music and dance) for behaviour change communication
- Project Planning and Management
- Any other topic of relevance to the subject and objective of training
- Contribute to the conduct/co-facilitate a practical and extensive five-day training for cohorts members with developed manual.
- Submission of final training report and improved version of manual based on feedback from training.
Deliverables, Time Frame and Level of Effort:
- The period of the contract will be expected to cover a maximum of one 30 days as per agreed upon timeline. The Facilitators are expected to carry out all the preparations required to facilitate the training as per agreed time frame:
- Training of YPA cohort members
- Feedback and submission of final report on training/camp
- Submission of draftn training manual review
- Submission of final version of training manual