Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Development of Literacy Materials to Improve Learning Outcomes of Children Affected by Conflict in North - East, Nigeria
Job Type: Full-time Humanitarian
- Based on Save the Children’s global ambition 2030 and the Country education strategy, we are committed to ensuring that all children learn from a quality basic education and achieve improved learning outcomes in Literacy, Numeracy and wellbeing
- The major target group are the most deprived children who are least likely to learn
- These include but not limited to children affected by armed conflict, Almajiris, the girl child and the nomadic pastoralist. Literacy rates are generally low in the Northeast and one of the attributes among others is the lack of access to age and context appropriate readers or story books which denies children a chance to practice reading
- Children need to learn to read so that they can read to learn. With funding from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (NMFA), Save the Children is implementing a project titled; Providing safe learning opportunities for children affected by conflict in Northeast Nigeria
- It aims at increasing equitable access to inclusive and protective education for children affected by conflict in Borno state, Northeast Nigeria
- The project targets 5,000 primary school-aged children (2,500 girls; 2,500 boys) who do not currently have access to learning opportunities by setting up Temporarily Learning Spaces (TLS) in areas where we already have child protection platforms and have identified a large need for learning opportunities. An additional 1000 (500 girls; 500 boys) children enrolled in primary schools will be benefiting from learning materials.
The objectives of the consultancy are as follows:
- Develop literacy materials; storybooks, workbooks/worksheets, flashcards and charts that are adapted to this context and curriculum (primary 1 – 6) according to the levels
- Translate the resources into the common languages spoken; Hausa and Kanuri
- A Consultant will be engaged. He/she will work together with education learning spaces where Save the children is implementing its project in Jere and MMC local government areas
- The consultant, through different methods such as focused group discussions, meetings and child participation activities will engage with children, parents including community members to develop stories for different age/grade
- These stories will be illustrated by children and/or illustrator and then compiled by the consultant
- Save the Children will take the responsibility of mass producing it. The consultant will be responsible to work with professional language translators to proofread materials developed in both the local languages (Hausa and Kanuri) and English.
What the consultant would then have to do with our support would be:
- Engage parents, teachers and children to tell stories which the consultant can then put down in the correct Kanuri and Hausa orthography.
- Based on the national basic education (primary 1 – 6) curriculum and the context (language, culture and religion), develop learning resources such as flashcards, worksheets and charts.
- Engage professional translators to ensure the correct use of Hausa and Kanuri orthography in all materials developed
- Illustrate the stories- some of the stories can be illustrated by children or an illustrator.
- All the material produced need to be gender and conflict sensitive.
- Ensure that the storybook, flash cards, charts and worksheets are designed, draft copies printed and templates shared with Save the Children.
- Have all storybooks translated in English
- Three sets of Storybooks according to age/grade in Kanuri, Hausa and English
- Literacy learning resources; flashcards, worksheets and charts
In the course of the consultancy, Save the Children shall cover for the following as part of the training:
- Consultancy Fee: The consultancy fee shall be paid as per the contract
- Transportation Cost: Transportation fee to and from Maiduguri shall be provided to the consultant upon submission of an invoice or request.
- Accommodation: The consultant shall be provided with accommodation (subject to availability of space in the guest house) or reimbursement will be made to the consultant for accommodation (subject to submission of hotel receipt/invoice). The reimbursement for accommodation shall be in line with SCI rate.
- Car Hire: This shall be provided only for the number of days of field work.