Mercy Corps is a global, non-governmental organization, which exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps works in the areas of emergency relief, sustainable economic development and civil society. Since 1979, Mercy Corps has provided $1 billion in assistance to people in 94 nations. Mercy Corps is collaborating with the Federal Government of Nigeria, the UK Department for International Development and USAID partners implementing economic development programs throughout the country.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS), in partnership with Mercy Corps (MC), the Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria (CCFN), the Federation of Muslim Women Association of Nigeria (FOMWAN) and eight (8) Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) is implementing the Feed the Future Nigeria Livelihoods Project (FFNLP), with support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The project employs a multi-sector approach that will help 42,000 vulnerable households (HHs) in rural communities in northern Nigeria’s Sokoto and Kebbi states, and in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) grow their agricultural and non-agricultural incomes.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Consultant (Market and Value Chain Mapping)
Locations: Sokoto, Kebbi & Abuja (FCT)
The focus of this assignment is to develop a market access study to determine the extent to which product value chain upgrades will be required for beneficiaries in technical and vocational skills, micro franchising agricultural production, and processing to competitively identify and take advantage of local market opportunities.
Specifically, the Study will:
- Provide a detailed market analysis of industries relevant to the project (formal and informal sector): fashion, textile, agriculture, and consumer goods (including, but not limited to, food, personal and home care divisions).
- This must include assessing market needs, particularly product types and specifications/quality standards, and the nature of bargain taking place between different market players in the study area (relationships, attitudes, and behaviors).
- Understudy 400 individual beneficiary enterprises and the products produced in order to map the supply and value chain, including primary and secondary market actors.
- Assess and profile businesses and products that are capable of meeting market needs, including resources, skills, capacity related to procurement of input, production and supply of products.
- Analyze the capacity of profiled businesses to access credit, information and resources.
- Determine aspects of product value and supply chains to upgrade for successful direct linkages with market as well as propose a detailed plan of interventions to address constraints identified in chains.
- Determine all regulatory requirements that market suppliers (beneficiaries) and the market must meet.
- Determine and draft market terms and conditions for trade.
- Propose alternative strategies for forward and backward linkages to markets based on findings.
- Construct scenarios of the economic impact (change in market share, increase in local trade, profits, jobs, and wages) that the market linkage would bring about.
- Identify investment needs, and opportunities for potential investors to enable businesses scale up to meet market demand.
- Identify opportunities for interested private sector players in the industries relevant to the project as off-takers and/ investors in the expansion of individual micro-enterprises within broader industries.
- A comprehensive market access report that addresses the objectives above, with a specific focus on the following sectors: Agriculture, Fast Moving Consumer Goods, Textile, Fashion and other sectors as identified during research.
- An investment analysis report and deck for potential investors in each industry.
- Organize a stakeholder workshop including presentations on proposals for upgrading and introducing innovations into the value and supply chain to meet market needs.
- Conduct weekly progress sessions with project team.
- Data collection instruments.
- Hire enumerators at Mercy Corps rate.