Palladium Group is a privately owned real estate company. Its core businesses are Portfolio and Development investments. The Group invests for its own account and in partnership with private and institutional investors. Its knowledge and expertise allow for a combination of efficiency and quality of life aspects through a global approach to residential and commercial projects. Palladium Group covers all facets of real estate, from urban and architectural design to ownership, development, asset and property management, as well as maintenance of single assets and portfolios. The Company started as a general contractor over a hundred years ago. In the twenties, the Company evolved by beginning to construct several buildings in Paris together with associated property management business activities to enhance and create additional synergies and value for the construction company. Through the years, the Group expanded its activities throughout Western Europe, particularly in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, The Netherlands, as well as the United States and most recently into Saudi Arabia.
Job Title: Consultant on Product and Policy Expert on Poultry and Livestock Market
Job Ref: req8186
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Name of project/programme: Propcom Mai-karfi
Terms of reference for:
- Individual consultant on policy and product expert in Poultry and Livestock Markets
- Propcom Mai-karfi is a DFID programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in Northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in Northern NigeriaPropcom Mai-karfi recently got a 3 years extension (2018-2021) with focus on the North East (NE) states and 3 North West states- Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa statesThe aim is to influence INGOs in the NE states to shift from humanitarian to development and to implement market recovery and systems development programmes across the targeted states.
- The project has over the last few years worked in the areas of poultry health and improved poultry husbandryIt has also facilitated activities in poultry marketing and livestock.
In this phase, the project intends to implement the following strategies under poultry and livestock;
- Expand commercial access to veterinary products and services through a network of community animal health workers (CAHW).
- Generate demand for veterinary services through expanded networks of community vaccinators (CVs) and vaccination campaigns.
- Build the capacity of poultry and livestock producers on basic husbandry techniques to increase their flock sizes and survival rates
- Facilitate output market linkages for poultry and livestock products.
- Currently, the Poultry and Livestock team is managing 10 partnerships and sub/service contracts, facilitating activities across the 9 programme states working with both the public and private sectors to improve the livelihood of smallholder farmers (SHF)Expectedly, these partnerships require facilitating several intervention activities, running concurrently thus causing a strain on the existing human resourceThe team has identified that for the various models and interventions to be sustained after the end of the project, distributors need constant supply of vaccines that is usable for the SHFTo meet up with the planned schedules and execute planned activities with precision, the team requires the support of a consultant.
Seek consultant to support in facilitating:
- Alternative sourcing of poultry and livestock vaccine, work with an established and interested vendor(s) in Nigeria to purchase the vaccine and distribute the vaccine across identified distributors in the PM programme states.
- Develop policy related interventions in the poultry and livestock market that will improve the livelihood of poultry and livestock farmers such as the CAHW programme.
- Support NVRI to improve the efficiency of vaccine production and supply to distributors working with smallholder farmers.
- Identify alternative manufacturers of thermotolerant Newcastle and PPR vaccines.
- Facilitate the establishment of business relationship between international manufacturers and in-country distributors/pharmaceutical importers in Nigeria, at competitive pricing
- Lead in expediting activities to secure waivers and import licences from relevant regulatory authorities and institutions in Nigeria and country of vaccine manufacture.
- Identify key distributors across PM project states willing to buy these vaccines from the pharmaceutical importer at the agreed wholesale price
- Broker linkage between importers of thermotolerant Newcastle and PPR vaccines and key distributors across PM project states
- Monitor vaccine uptake at state levels.
- Lead programme advocacy on the CAHW implementation to relevant authorities to increase adoption by public and private veterinary community
- Lead all focal discussions with Veterinary Council of Nigeria (VCN) council members, states and other important bodies.
- At least 2 international sources of PPR and NDV-i2 vaccines identified with demonstrable interest in marketing with Nigerian market.
- Written commitment from at least 2 pharmaceutical importers willing to import from the international sources of the thermotolerant vaccine
- Evidence of agreement signed with/between one pharmaceutical importer and an international manufacturer on thermotolerant vaccines at a competitive price
- Detailed list of key distributors that have agreed to offtake vaccines from the pharmaceutical importer(s) at a wholesale price.
- At least 2 stakeholder meetings with council members of Veterinary Council of Nigeria
- Update reports to VCN on states-run CAHW programme.
- Monthly updates to PM on tasks accomplished
Consultancy report at the end of contract, containing the following sections:
- The activity(s)
- Identified constraints and suggested solutions
- Action steps
- The Consultant will work from place of residence and may be required to make frequent travels to Lagos, Abuja, PM project states and sites of international manufacturers.
- The consultant will report to the Tier Leads and work closely with the Market Manager in charge of Poultry and Livestock Intervention