Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant: Production of our Heritage Audio Drama for Soci Media and Radio Platforms
Location: Jos, Plateau (Middble-Belt)
Consultant - Local
Consultancy: Production of our Heritage Audio Drama for social media and Radio platforms
About the Project
Project Goal & Specific Objectives:
- Search for Common Ground (Search) Nigeria is implementing a 24-month project with an overall goal to contribute to preventing violence and the destruction of lives and properties resulting from protracted violent conflicts between farmers and herders while combating impunity and promoting the freedom of religions and belief in the Middle Belt region of Nigeria.
The specific objectives are:
- To increase collaboration between farmer and herder communities to develop joint, effective, sustainable local mechanisms for early warning response, dispute management, and violence prevention and mitigation at the community levels.
- To strengthen implementation of rule of laws and accountability measures by the government of focal states and relevant federal government institutions to respond to and prevent violence resulting from farmer-herder conflicts at the state levels.
- To enhance public understanding of the farmer-herder conflicts by promoting conflict sensitive contents and, countering hate speech, stereotypes, biases and negative narratives that fuel violence.
The project will be implemented in selected LGAs of three states, Plateau, Nasarawa and Benue, which has been experiencing escalation in the violence and the loss of human lives and property as a result of farmers-herders conflicts.
Activity 3.4 Social Media Campaign:
- As part of the deliverables of this project, Search has made a commitment to implement a social media campaign that will reach a target of at least 5000 people. Social media has played a large role in perpetuating stereotypes, particularly around Fulani herders, and negative narratives around farmer-herder relations and the conflict.
- Hence, Search will fund the production and promotion of 15 episodes of audio drama tagged “our heritage drama series” which will highlight stereotypes, particularly around Fulani herders, and negative narratives around farmer-herder relations and the conflict. The audio drama messages will be focused on moving beyond these stereotypes and celebrate shared humanity and rights to freedom of religion or belief.
- The 15 episodes of Our Heritage audio drama series will thereafter be published and promoted on Social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram which will be used to share credible information. Search will also leverage existing relationships with radio houses in project states through the media fellows to air the audio dramas across the radio stations where possible In order to further penetrate and reach our target demography and beyond.
- We will also engage key opinion leaders, media influencers and celebrities to be the credible voice to address and dispel rumors that fuels farmer-herder conflicts and reprisal attacks.
Methodology for activity:
- SFCG, plans to work with citizens to increase access to positive messaging that dispels rumors and inciting speeches, strengthen understanding of conflict drivers, and fosters intergroup engagement between herders and farming communities.
- To this end, Search will fund the production of a 15 episode audio drama to support this initiative. Search will leverage on the skills and resources of experts to create innovative and inspiring drama content that has the potential of changing the narratives between these communities.
- Search is now looking to work with a contracted creative hub for the scripting, recording, production and editing of these contents. The 8-10 minutes long audio drama will promote peace and unity by highlighting inspiring stories, messages, and raising awareness on the root causes of conflict to dispel the notion that conflict drivers are linked to identity and religion.
- The creative vision and content of the audio content will be envisaged by the consultant. SFCG will upload these contents on its social media handles which can be listened to both locally and internationally by a wide range of internet users, especially the target audience.
- The audio drama content will be scripted in the most-widely spoken language (mainly English, and some instances of native languages spoken by natives in the middle belt area to ensure ownership by listeners) so that the messages and themes are more relatable and accessible to a wide range of people.
- Promote conflict sensitive contents that will encourage healthy interactions in cyberspace.
- Improved narratives on conflict sensitivity content and reportage in non-adversarial ways.
- Stimulate understanding of the common ground approach;
- Understanding of Trauma awareness and sensitive journalism;
- Awareness and understanding the objectives and goals of the project;
- Instilling the culture of sustenance of peace at all times.