The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deployment Editor
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/33835
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent - Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News - W2020 - Africa
Reports to: Regional Planning Editor
Grade: Local terms and conditions
- The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new current affairs and news programmes and innovative digital services to work alongside existing African Services.
- We are looking for a talented, motivated and experienced Senior Journalist to lead daily Language Service news deployments in Africa. Working closely and collaboratively with the African Planning/ Editorial teams in both London and across Africa, the Deployments Editor will deliver the best service for BBC audiences.
- BBC Africa’s expansion aims to increase the impact of BBC journalism and strengthen the BBC’s international offer to benefit audiences.
- To ensure the most effective deployment on stories and specials for all African Language Service platforms and to deliver the very best journalism to African audiences as well as to the wider BBC.
- To ensure breaking news in Africa is covered appropriately, swiftly with the maximum impact and relevance for audiences and the BBC.
- To manage deployments - primarily in West Africa -- and ensure provision of high quality material for the new portfolio of “2020” TV content.
- To be responsible for Language Service developments and working with the Newsgathering Africa Bureau Editor to ensure BBC’s deployments in Africa work as efficiently and effectively as possible for the whole of BBC News.
- To liaise with colleagues across BBC News, in particular Africa, to the benefit of respective audiences.
- To manage Language Service Reporters, Field producers and Shoot Edits for News in multiple locations ensuring appropriate training, development and performance feedback. To be responsible for the safety and risk assessment of each of their deployments.
- The significant WS Language Service presence in the region offers opportunities and challenges ahead, with the expectation of editorial co-operation and integration on all levels. The editor will be expected to play a key role in drawing the teams together to work for the benefit of all audiences.
- The Deployments Editor will be a key member of the senior team and will work with the Africa Planning Editor and Language Service Editors to maintain high editorial standards, as well as making sure content is within the BBC brand. They will contribute to the overall strategy and direction of BBC Africa’s output on News and current affairs.
- To devise, develop and deliver Language Service deployments to achieve high impact journalism across all Africa Service platforms and the wider BBC.
- Lead, manage and motivate Language Service reporters, producers, shoot edits and others in improving the range and quality of journalism.
- Be strategic, creative and influential in shaping and developing BBC’s news agenda.
- To understand the risk and value in deployments and make effective decisions often in breaking news deployments.
- To ensure the safety of deployed reporters, producers and shoot edits, providing safety and risk assessments (including hostile risk assessments) and to deputise for high risk point of contact when necessary.
- To be calm and communicate well, even when under pressure.
- To have an editorial oversight in collaboration with Africa Service news teams and Central Language structures in the region.
- To work closely with the Africa Planning Editor and Africa output editors to ensure the right stories are covered in an effective way and to maintain clear and regular communication.
- To liaise with, and get advice from the Planning Editor (Languages) and the Newsgathering Bureaux Editor about big and high impact content.
- To ensure the commissioning of new and innovative digital and TV content which is shareable across African languages and the rest of the BBC.
- To work closely with Language Service editors to develop talent, editorial themes and content.
- To ensure a high level of fast, accurate, engaging and fair journalism from across the region.
- To have expertise and detailed knowledge of African news, politics, business, sport and current affairs stories across Africa and an awareness of developments and trends. To be able to brief and advise editorial/production colleagues both in London and in the field on relevant topics and events.
- To lead the Africa Service newsgathering teams, managing rotas and staff and ensuring best use of resources, and following BBC procedures and standards.
- To liaise with senior Africa Service editorial staff on deployments, stories, series and editorial projects
- To help integrate planning and deployments with WS Regions and develop mutually beneficial use of technical, production and on-air talent.
- To ensure that content meets the highest of BBC brand and editorial standards.
- To make sure that Africa language teams work collaboratively and with the wider BBC.
- To represent the BBC internally and externally where required.