Chemonics International - We're one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Country Director- Program Operations
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
PROJECT: Global Health Supply Chain - Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) Nigeria
- The overall goal of GHSC-PSM is to procure and provide health commodities for all USAID health programs, including but not limited to, HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Family Planning, and Maternal & Child Health, as well as provide systems strengthening technical assistance to improve supply chain management and commodity security in Nigeria.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- The Deputy Country Director - Program Operations will oversee daily program operations and coordination of all aspects of GHSC-PSM in Nigeria. He/she will collaborate with the Nigeria Country Director in the ongoing implementation of projects. He/she will also provide technical leadership in Task Order program operations, manage the program managers within the 9 Regions and track program expenditure and implementation to ensure quality program management.
- The Deputy Country Director - Program Operations will ensure that program implementation is harmonized across work streams- Technical Assistance and Operations and Compliance. This position is based in Abuja and will require trips to field locations.
- Provide technical leadership, and collaboration of the Field Logistics Team, Laboratory Team, Warehousing and Distribution Team, M & E Team, Office Operations Team and timely confirmation and processing of PODs through the Regional Managers.
- Supervise the overall management, quality and timeliness of deliverables, programmatic impact, external representation, and coordination with the Global Fund, Principal Recipients and GHSC-PSM project.
- Meet all GHSC-PSM HQ, donor, and work plan requirements related to the planning, sourcing (exclusive of procurement), customs clearance, storage, delivery, and return of donor procured commodities.
Program Management and Implementation:
- Monitor/track spending across projects, reviewing projections compiled by program managers and area managers at the field level.Organize periodic project review meetings (mid and final) following initial mobilization meeting to ensure progress is on-track.
- Attend the program modification/budget realignment process, liaising with the donor, country office staff, regional teams, and GHSC-PSM Project Management Support Teams
- Lead the bi-monthly end-to-end Sales and Operational Planning Process inclusive of data collection, data review, data aggregation, data cleaning, demand forecasting, supply planning, consensus based planning, supply and demand balancing, development/review/approval of 3PL orders, distribution resource planning, warehousing, long haul, and last mile distribution to ensure that donor procured commodities are delivered on time and in full in accordance with national and donor-designated timelines.
- Continuously improve supply chain efficiency and effectiveness by leveraging technology, documenting and regularly refining processes, and increasing coordination among all stakeholders that contribute to the implementation of core program operations.
- Coordinate closely with the Deputy Country Director – Technical and Deputy Country Director – Operations, as part of the Nigeria Executive Management Team, to ensure that program implementation is harmonized across each deputy country director’s work stream.
- Coordinate closely with HQ Global Supply Chain and HQ Systems Strengthening staff to ensure alignment and proper hand-offs occur between home office and field office activities.
- Ensure effective and coordinated budget monitoring/spending reviews occur on a regular basis, coordinating with finance and program teams
Program Operations/Operational Logistics:
- Maintain, update, and regularly review GHSC-PSM’s master Country Operational Analysis, consolidating inputs from programs and finance
- In collaboration with HR, ensure adherence to and enforcement of HR policies including punctuality, productivity and principles of a professional work environment within the program team with high consistency.
- Lead and provide supportive supervision to program managers and coordinators in charge of specific programs, providing guidance and direction on work planning, priority setting, task management, performance, growth and learning, etc.
- Provide capacity building and day-to-day coaching on program management to program staff.
- Identify, recognize, and broadly communicate the success of the staff within supervised departments.
- Assist programs and operations teams in monitoring and tracking burn rate to ensure proper management
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Country Director or designee.