Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children's rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
Job Title: Deputy Emergency Response Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of this role is to support the international Emergency Response Manager (ERM) who is leading the emergency response work of Plan International Nigeria in the North East. The role will particularly be responsible for operational activities including dealing with issues of Finance, Human resources Admin and logistics.
- The ERM is covering a variety of different tasks, which includes among others overseeing the development and implementation of the Emergency Response Plan (incl. project implementation of different projects with different institutional donors and National Offices), maintaining the emergency master budget, ensure the regular development of Sitreps, representing the organisation at various clusters, working groups and towards external as well as internal (i.e Regional Office, IH, Lake Chad Basin Unit) humanitarian actors, being the overall line manager for the whole emergency response team which is spread across three locations (Abuja, Maiduguri and Mubi).
- To ensure that all these tasks can be appropriately addressed by the ERM, he/she will need to be able to delegate certain management authority and tasks to the Deputy ERM to ensure continuity and regular oversight and support to the emergency response team.
- Furthermore, it is key that in the absence of the ERM, no gap in terms of decision making regarding the response actions as well as continuousmanagement support to the response team is occurring.
Emergency Response Programme Management:
- Provide leadership on humanitarian response operational issues – including dealing interfacing with finance, coordinating with HR and overseeing the Admin and logistics team and any other operational tasks as agreed with the ERM.
- Regular monitoring of project implementation status in terms of expenditures and activity implementation progress).
- In absence of the ERM (i.e. due to leave, illness, other tasks) represents the emergency response team of Plan Int. Nigeria both internally and externally and therefore will act as Officer in Charge (OiC) including all related authority which is required to be the OiC.
- Jointly reviewing and revising where required with the ERM and the Plan Nigeria CMT the emergency response plan.
- Support program teams in implementation of emergency response programs, including support for start-up of new grants as well as during implementation and tracking of qualitative and timely
- Support program teams with operational challenges by working closely with the logistics and admin department
- Support program teams in tracking expenditures and by reviewing financial reports.
Information and Co-ordination:
- Representing Plan International at all relevant external and internal meetings with humanitarian actors in the absence of the ERM
- Support the coordination and interlinkage of existing projects with new projects to ensure coherence by providing pro-actively as well as per request information to the Lake Chad Programme
- Coordinator, regional DRM team as well as colleagues of the national offices (NOs) within the Plan Federation..
- Participate in the lake Chad Programme NO/CO calls including updates on the emergency situation and response programme of Plan Nigeria
- Responsible for communicating to CO, NOs and other stakeholders on the progress of projects as it relates to budget revision, activities planning and other major decisions in consultation with the ERM.
- Provide orientation and guidance on key processes in developing and implementing emergency response projects and proposals to the colleagues of Plan Nigeria.
- Ensure that new project designs are informed by needs assessments and contextual analysis
- Orient the emergency response team members on the use and concept of relevant human.
- Standards like SPHERE, CHS, INEE and CPMS
- Log-frame approach and application
- Linking CO emergency response team members to DRM related training opportunities
- Support project teams to enhance local PNGO capacity on organizational development, PCM and donor compliance
Resource Mobilisation for follow up and new DRM grants:
- Close collaboration with Business Development Advisor and CO Resource Mobilization Advisor at one side and technical specialist to ensure that proposal/project development is coordinated and well informed from a technical/programmatic point of view
- Support BDA and ERM in identifying potential extension/follow up intervention sectors through enhanced donor engagement
- Ensure that new intervention ideas are in line with overall Lake Chad and Plan Nigeria emergency programme and donor priorities.
- Support ERM and BDM regarding project presentations to COs, NOs & donors to enhance resource mobilization.
- Work closely with ERM and Security Advisor to monitor the security situation and to keep staff informed on new developments
- Support staff to implement safety and security measures
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.