Mercy Corps Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Program Manager (NE-CMS)
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00083
Location: Maiduguri - Borno State with 20% travels to deep field locations within North East Nigeria.
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from Northeast Nigeria and causing displacement of millions, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
- The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE-CMS) Program is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to reduce violence and insecurity in Borno State.
- The program seeks to achieve the following outcomes:
- Citizens are more civically engaged, and civilian government and security forces are more transparent and inclusive in addressing community needs around service delivery and protection;
- Communities demonstrate improved trust and social cohesion within and between actors at the local level;
- Local decision-making spaces and peacebuilding processes are equitable and inclusive of marginalized social groups, especially youth and women.
- The program is implemented in a consortium with multiple partners both international and national with Mercy Corps being the lead.
General Position Summary
- The Deputy Program Manager (DPM) will provide direct support to the Program Manager in the technical oversight and management of staff and resources to ensure the program meets its targets and deliverables on-time, on-scope and on budget.
- S/he will support the team to ensure effective coordination and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance and accountability.
- The DPM will represent and manage the program in case of absence of the Program Manager.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Support development and adherence to joint vision for the NE-CMS program to achieve highest level of impact.
- Ensure high quality of the program through innovation, active pursuit of lessons learned, adaptability to changing dynamics, and collaboration with related programs.
- Support the program team to design robust implementation strategies for each component of the program.
- Promote quality assurance to ensure adherence to the highest programmatic standards and industry norms/regulations.
- Support production of donor reports, lessons learned documentation, case studies, and other reflections on program progress.
- Support the monitoring of all programming for compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures as well as donor/government/external rules and regulations.
- Support oversight of the performance of sub-grantees, consultants and contractors.
- In collaboration with the MEL team, maintain a strong monitoring, evaluation and learning system to ensure that all program aspects are documented and archived according to internal/donor requirements.
- Ensure all program management minimum standards are met (including risk management, issues management).
- Ensure optimal integration of all program components for maximum impact.
- Support the coordination of the implementation of program activities in all locations, using effective management systems to reach desired impacts.
- Support identification and management of links with existing and planned donor interventions that promote peacebuilding in target communities in Borno State.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners, and aligned with Mercy Corps principles, values and strategic plan.
- Support organization of monitoring visits for host visitors and donors, as needed.
- Create a work atmosphere of mutual respect conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees.
- Contribute to team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Draft and/or review scopes of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Program Assistant, MEL Assistant Reports Directly To: NE-CMS Program Manager
Works Directly With:
- Program Team, Finance Department, MEL, Operations, Security