Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Base Logistician
Job Type: Full Time
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 - Transport people and equipment under good security condition:
- Ensure the safety and security of ACF vehicle and it personnel’s.
- Drive in a safe way at all times, respecting the country’s circulation rules and following the base/capital logistician’s planning and instructions
- Follow ACF communication protocols and SOPs, communicate via phone and/or radio with the base and ensure that all communications equipment on board is charged and operational.
- If necessary, remind passengers to fasten their seat belts
- In case of an accident or incident, immediately get in touch with the logistics department and follow their instructions; complete incident report within 4 hours or as soon as arriving back to base
- Follow all ACF rules and regulations and vehicle manufacturer’s guidelines when using the vehicle.
- Ensure that all personal documents (ID, driving licence) and vehicle documents are valid and kept on board at all time
- Ensure all required safety equipment is carried on board and in good condition and inform logistics department of any deficiencies.
- Go for Interstate and field movements and stay in other bases overnight as and when required.
- Work according to the driver’s roaster/ schedule; including weekends and national holidays.
Objective 2 - Ensure maintenance of the vehicle:
- Solve minor problems and perform basic maintenance;
- Inform the logistics department of any major repairs to be carried out and immediately inform of any incurred damage;
- Carry out daily checks before starting up the engine;
- Carry out weekly checks once a week.
- Keep the vehicle clean and wash it on a regular basis as requested by the base/capital logistician;
- Keep track of maintenance schedule and notify base/capital logistician 500-1000km before the maintenance is due
- Ensure that vehicle tool kit and first aid kit are complete
Objective 3 - Prepare departures to the field and assist with deliveries:
- Inspect and prepare the vehicle the day before departure so as to be on time;
- Load the vehicle with transported goods.
- Ensure that dully filled and signed delivery notes accompany transported goods. Obtain signature of delivery note from consignee and return document to the sender.
- Check if all required equipment is on board and functioning (communication equipment, tool box, medical kit, fuel, stickers, flags)
- Check with base/capital logistician if security clearance is received before departure (SMP approved for cross state movements)
Objective 4 - Ensure all vehicle documentation is completed:
- Ensure all documents are on board and filled dully with readable handwriting.
- Record the car movement in the movement log and get passenger’s signature
- Complete the Fuel Log book accurately on a daily basis with mileage, fuel consumption information and after every maintenance
- Submit the completed Log Book to the base/capital logistician on a monthly basis
- Submit all receipts for fuel, airport and parking tickets, etc. in a timely manner to the base/capital logistician for reconciliation
Internal & External relationships
- Base/capital logistician: hierarchical relationship – technical support – exchange of information, collaboration on planning and all transport matters.
- Logistics Coordinator: technical supervisor
- Other staff members: transportation
- Program facilitators, Donors, local ministries, staff of other NGOs
- Local suppliers: To assist logistics in procurement and delivery of goods