The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Duration: 6 months
Category of Staff: National Staff
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is the World’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The Federation is a membership organization established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Federation is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- The overall aim of the IFRC is to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world. It works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
- The Federation is served by a Secretariat based in Geneva, with regional and country offices throughout the world. The IFRC under its new vision for 2020 established its West Coast Cluster Office in Abuja to cover seven countries, namely Ghana, Togo, Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Côte d'Ivoire and Benin. To strengthen its presence and ensure better integration and effective support to the National Societies, the work of the office is organised around the 3 pillars of health, disaster management and organisational development. The West Coast Cluster office in Abuja has different health programmes including strengthening routine immunisation systems, community surveillance of acute flaccid Paralysis, health emergency/disease preparedness, and health emergency response project.
- To provide driving and administrative support to the IFRC’s health programs in Katsina state under the overall supervision of the Senior Immunization Officer with support from the cluster office in Abuja.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely drive Federation fleet vehicles for the transport of passengers and cargo as instructed and ensure that all occupants of the vehicle are wearing safety belts
- Ensure proper use and security of assigned Federation vehicles and equipment. Also ensure the vehicles are cleaned, refuelled and are in operational condition at all times
- Make correct entries into the log book and ensure proper records are kept of all the spare keys, repairs, equipment (e.g. radios, antennae, etc) and fuel intakes
- Perform daily inspections for the assigned or any other vehicles and report to the supervisor accordingly
- Understand and obey all applicable traffic signs, rules and regulations
- Make any such repairs that are necessary for the efficient operation of the vehicles including changing tyres in case of a puncture, changing oils, car batteries, etc
- Advise supervisor of needed maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Carry out pre-repairs and post-repairs inspection
- Follow up monthly service repairs and generate reports
- Perform other technical duties as assigned