Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for - and respond to - crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Education in Emergencies Officer
Locations: Damaturu, Maiduguri
Slot: 5 Openings
- The purpose of this role is to support the implementation of Integrated Education for Adolescent Girls’ project in Northeast, Nigeria.
Dimension of Role
- The post holder will directly implement the project and also document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International's emergency response.
- He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design, capacity building. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
In collaboration with the Project Coordinator:
- Support in documenting lessons learnt and best practices of the pilot project
- With support from M&E team design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Support assessment of Education sector in the state of implementation
- Review, assess and update the education situation in areas affected by emergency
- Highlight education issues requiring a response – both immediate (less than 2 months) and medium-term and make recommendations on specific PLAN actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s learning outcomes, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities – including conducting an education-specific 3Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early childhood, gender, protection, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines, UN education cluster standards and INEE Minimum Standards, are considered and any departures documented.
- Provide regular updates to Project Coordinator and Education in Emergencies Specialist, on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Represent Plan International to clusters, governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Team Leader.
- Support the implementation of, and represent Plan International in, emergency education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Project Coordinator.