Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education in Emergency Officer
Ref Id: 190001VJ
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- The Job Holder will support the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the GAC project. In addition, support the GAC team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the project; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the project as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
Key Areas of Accountability
- With support from the Education Coordinator, develop, implement and monitor quarterly, monthly and weekly activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Education Coordinator and addressed in a timely manner way.
- Lead the preparation of all procurement and administrative documents required for programme implementation.
- Work with teachers and community to increase education service provision e.g. initiating second shifts in existing formal primary schools.
- Lead on planning and capacity building training workshops for teachers and other education actors.
- Work with the community mobilization team and communities (leaders, parents, etc.) and disseminate information about education issues and available services.
- Support the establishment of temporary classrooms or the rehabilitation of formal schools in collaboration with the senior construction coordinator.
- Hold meetings with stakeholders including schools, local councils and other organizations serving children and community to understand their education priorities, familiarize them with the projects and its objectives and engage them in the process.
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the PM.
- Ensure that the Education programme is implemented in ways that are responsive to communities and children, in line with SC’s principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with SC’s procedures.
Teacher supervision and mentorship:
- Support, encourage and monitor the teachers supported by the programme to ensure children learn in a safe and protective environment.
- Gain technical knowledge on education and other relevant areas so as to provide support and trainings to the supported teachers, SBMC members and other relevant stakeholders to maintain the standards and improve the quality of project activities.
- Identify any staffing issues and coordinate closely with the Education Manager to resolve them.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Work with the MEAL team to ensure that all programme data is properly and regularly collected by field staff, check data and ensure that it is logically presented to the Project Manager
- Collect and compile project data from the schools, teachers and SBMC members based on the standard formats and submit regular reports capturing achievements, case studies and lessons learned to the Project Manager
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports
- Participate in team reviews of results and programme progress and/or project evaluation when and as requested
Collaboration and Representation:
- Represent Save the Children in a professional manner.
- Liaise with other stakeholders, including schools, local leaders, partners and participates in relevant meetings.
- Collaboration with other team members across to ensure synergies and consistency in our programming approaches.
- Represent programming with local government, NGOs, communities and within SC as appropriate.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues and with relevant external partners.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity