The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Electrician Assistant
Ref Id: 18/19 ABJ
Type of Position: Permanent
Start Date: 3rd June, 2019
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates
Main Purpose of Job
- Hands-on Electrician to carry out effective day to day maintenance work, routine maintenance, preventive maintenance, breakdown maintenance, new installation and construction works.
Roles and responsibilities
- Assist TWG team to attend to work requests on a regular basis as it affects the mission’s operations.
- Adhere to FCO health & safety standards in performing regular works and ensure compliance with all TWG work practices and policies.
- Assist TWG team to complete planned preventive maintenance (PPM) works and meet deadlines in our Calendar schedule.
- Attend to all Ad hoc tasks delegated by the Building Services Manager (BSM) and provide updates.
- Carry out daily routine inspections and maintenance of all electrical panels and Distribution boards.
- Conduct routine and corrective maintenance of all small power outlets.
- Carry out routine inspections and maintenance of Generators, Electrical installations, etc.
- Carry out routine inspection and maintenance of building elevators (lift) and fire system.
- Conduct weekly tests and checks on fire alarm systems and submit a log sheet weekly.
- Responsible for all Energy Isolation and De-Isolation during maintenance.
- Read and interpret Blueprints or Electrical diagrams
- Install and maintain wiring, control, and lighting systems.
- Install, maintain or repair electrical wiring or equipment.
- Conduct routine inspection and maintenance of electrical components, such as transformers and circuit breakers.
- Identify electrical problems with a variety of testing devices.
- Comply with the building regulations based on British standard.
- Execute plans for electrical wiring of well-functioning lighting, intercom and other electrical systems.
- Install safety and distribution components such as switches, sensors, resistors, circuit breakers, relays and other electronics components
- Prepare and assemble conduits both galvanized and PVC and connect wiring through them.
- Perform effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions and repair or substitute damaged units.
- Connect wiring in electrical circuits and networks ensuring compatibility of components.