The North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria - An International Development Organization is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Engineer
- The Engineer will support the Engineering Manager to ensure that all the projects are implemented in accordance with sound technical, environmental and engineering standards. The Engineer provides technical support, training and supervision to project engineers who are implementing small and medium- sized infrastructure subprojects.
- The Engineer will provide technical input to NLCB staff during the project identification, development and implementation: including budget preparation, scheduling, environmental reviews and compliance monitoring, preparing and reviewing designs, and progress monitoring and reporting.
- The Engineer will ensure that all infrastructure projects are completed within the available timeframe, allowing sufficient time for close down, demobilization, handover, final invoicing, and if necessary, contract termination.
- The Engineer position will based in Yobe State with extensive travel to project sites.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Engineer will report technically to the Engineering Manager based in Abuja and administratively to the Program Manager at the state office.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Directly supervise construction and renovation works in the program area, and/or provide technical assistance and supervision to consulting engineers and firms for all NLCB infrastructure projects within the program area.
- Assist the program team in identifying and developing infrastructure projects. Input will include, but not to be limited to, establishing constructability, identifying potential field difficulties, and budget preparations to include material, labor, equipment and service costs.
- As required, prepare design documentation for tender, including designs, drawings, scopes of work, and BOQs of proposed infrastructure projects.
- Conduct final checks on project designs and specifications to ensure that all designs, drawings, scopes of work, and BOQs are in accordance with sound technical, environmental and engineering standards before passing on to the Engineering Manager in Abuja for final approval.
- Prepare Environmental Documentation Forms (EDFs), identifying mitigation measures into projects, in conformity with the program’s Environmental Mitigation and Management Plan (EMMP). Ensure that these mitigations measures are planned, budgeted and carried out.
- Conduct monitoring visits to infrastructure project sites, including unannounced visits in order to monitor progress and ensure compliance.
- Assists in evaluating the prequalifying potential subcontractors.
- Assists in the tendering, tender evaluation and contract recommendation processes for sub consultants and sub contracts.
- Directly carry out, or oversee community/grantee Engineer, engineering consultant or firm pre-final and final inspection of all infrastructure works.
- Technically review all invoices for infrastructure subprojects submitted according to project invoice review procedures. Certify that all deliverables/work have been completed per the terms of the contract prior to invoice approval.
- Interface with grantees, sub-contractors and vendors as required ensuring transparent program processes are upheld.
- Participate in final review and close out of grant activities.
- Any other duties suitable to task and commensurate with ability.