The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Family Planning Analyst - Nigeria Country Office - NOB
Job ID: 23378
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duration: One Year* (Renewable Based on Availability of Funds and Satisfactory Performance).
- Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Resident Representative & Deputy Representative and the direct supervision of the FP/RHCS Specialist, the Family Planning Analyst works closely with the RH team and the larger UNFPA Programme and Operations Teams using UNFPA and national systems and tools to deliver results.
- S/he will also work closely with different Nigerian Federal and State Ministry of Health Departments, Local Governments, NGOs and partners to enhance family planning uptake in the country.
- The Programme Analyst substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of reproductive health with a strong emphasis on supporting the implementation of the UNFPA Family Planning Strategy 2012-2020 –“Choices not Chance” at country level.
- S/he analyzes and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to programme formulation, support implementation, monitoring, and evaluation within national development frameworks and the UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework.
How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- The UNFPA Supplies Programme is part of efforts to improve access to and utilization of family planning commodities worldwide.
- The Global Programme works with national governments to strengthen or establish secure, reliable, cost-effective, and sustainable systems to ensure supply of and demand for reproductive health commodities, including contraceptives and condoms.
- With support from UNFPA Supplies, the UNFPA Country Office in the Federal Republic of Nigeria is working closely with Federal, States and Local Government counterparts in support of government-led efforts to increase mCPR, reduce unmet need for family planning and increase uptake of family planning information and services.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for the following:
- Provide technical expertise that will ensure the scale up of the family planning programme, especially with regards to demand creation and service delivery;
- Provide partners with the technical backstopping, assistance and advise on the strategic direction for strengthening the delivery, access to and quality of family planning;
- Provide technical updates, training and mentoring for partners in relevant clinical and technical areas related to family planning;
- Give technical guidance in the development and implementation of family planning protocols, policies, training modules, operational manuals and approaches for locally appropriate family planning service delivery and for supportive supervision of service providers based on best practices;
- Provide quality assurance and close monitoring of all family planning training, ensuring its integration in other relevant reproductive health areas;
- Analyse bottlenecks to the delivery of family planning services in the country and suggest strategic approaches to address these challenges and to make a breakthrough in the most hard to reach areas as well as other strategic areas like post-partum period, immunization, nutrition, etc.;
- Work with the Women Reproductive Health cluster and partners to ensure the integration of family planning activities in all reproductive health, maternal and neonatal health activities;
- Conduct regular technical monitoring visits to the field sites in collaboration with partners;
- Participate in the development and/or support the implementation of the National Family Planning Blueprint, National DMPA-SC Scale-up Plan, FP Communication Strategies, ensuring innovative high-impact, context-specific results-based programming across the thematic areas of Family Planning.
- Ensure that all service delivery planned and provided to the community is of high quality and responsive to the increased demand created by the reproductive, maternal and neonatal health initiatives;
- Participate in the development and updating of guidelines, standards, tools, manuals and approaches as required;
- Provide technical and programmatic support for family planning related research, and identify, document, and disseminate lessons learned and best practices in family planning;
- Maintain collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues in the field of FP and Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH).
- Undertake any other activities/responsibilities as needed by the UNFPA Leadership.