For almost 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the following main components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
A field team has been in place since June 2017 in Damboa local government area (LGA) and is running two fixed clinics in two IDP Camps but also for host population. MdM medical team is supporting 2 health posts (Ministry of Health) in Azir and Gumzuri villages.
Under the supervision of the general coordinator, the field coordinator will supervise the overall field project team and ensure close collaboration between the logistics, medical and administrative departments and good team spirit.
S/he will ensure smooth implementation of the project in Damboa LGA, according to project proposal including budget monitoring of activities, coordination with others NGOs and government bodies.
Ensure team security and safety and compliance with security regulations for the staff under her/his own responsibility.
Continuously assess the humanitarian and security situation in the field and timely inform the general coordinator.
S/he manages directly the support and program team in Damboa: medical supervisor, MHPSS supervisor, community outreach officer, log/admin officer. The total Damboa team is about 50 people. S/he gets the technical support of the country coordination team that is based in Maiduguri.
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments (medical, admin & fin, logistics)
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments
- Create/maintain a “team spirit” within the different departments and amongst the staff
Program implementation and management
- Good planning and implementation, create tools for use by the whole team, support team communication, efficiency and effectiveness with tasks
- Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative / finance and medical
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programmes to the needs in collaboration with the coordination team
- Contribute to the definition / revision of MdM strategy in Damboa, draw up scenarios and proposals and support the budget creation/revision for future/new activities in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments
- Contribute in defining the project needs and respond with support of the Emergency Response Team within Damboa LGA
Logistics, Finance and Administration
- Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues, ensuring all projects are compliant with these and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place (with the support of the finance co, Human Resources Co and Logistics Co), maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary
- Be responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project site in line with project proposals
- Ensure, in coordination with the finance coordinator that financial needs are well planned according to activities workplan
Human Resource Management
- Be responsible for the well-being of all team members; conduct regular team building activities
- Where relevant, contribute to recruitment and selection of national staff
- Be responsible for the disciplinary and grievance procedures of the national team under his/her line management
- Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics and take suitable action when problems occur
- Support team members professionally ; monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field, and departing team members are debriefed
- Be responsible for capacity building and training of national personnel in collaboration with all technical coordinators (Med Co, HR Co, Finance Co, and Log Co)
- Carry out representation activities with other NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, traditional authorities, donors and other relevant parties
- Participate on a regular basis to all relevant meetings and be collaborative and build a strong relationship with all partners working in the area
- When relevant and with the general coordinator approval, represent MdM to donors, authorities, NGOs and other parties as necessary
Safety and Security Management
- Ensure team security and safety in a highly volatile security environment in collaboration with the coordination team
- Proactively monitor the political, military and security situation in the project areas and update the logistics coordinator / general coordinator accordingly
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed with the logistics coordinator and the general coordinator accordingly
- Ensure timely and accurate security / incident reports are sent to the logistics coordinator / general coordinator
- Elaborate coordination report with the coordination team
- Ensure regular contacts with the general coordinator
- Participate to proposals & reports to donors
Starting date: May 11th, 2020
Gross monthly salary: 3.041 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Break policy every 3 months.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility