The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Compliance Manager, CSSF West Africa
Ref: 26/19 ABJ
Grade: C4 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
Start Date: 1st July 2019
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: CSSF - Conflict Stability and Security Fund
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
- The Conflict, Security and Stability Fund (CSSF) West Africa team, British High Commission Abuja, a rapidly growing team, is looking for a confident and proactive finance and compliance manager to lead oversight of a £35m p.a. regional portfolio of conflict programming across West Africa. The CSSF is a global cross-UK government fund which brings together the UK’s contribution to stability, security and defence activities in fragile and conflict affected countries and countries at risk of instability.
- The job holder will work directly to the Head, CSSF West Africa, and be based in Abuja. He/she will work with a wide range of regional UK government and international actors to monitor, report on and improve financial risk management across the entire portfolio. This will require a range of activities, including establishing and communicating UK financial processing requirements; strengthening systems to monitor spend and compliance; improving regional financial capacity; providing financial advisory support to programme leads in Nigeria, Mali and Sierra Leone; and leading procurement, due diligence and audit processes directly as appropriate.
- This role presents an exciting opportunity to support UK foreign policy priorities in West Africa. It would suit anyone who wishes to apply strong financial skills, risk management and stakeholder engagement skills in a fascinating, fast-moving and challenging context. You will need to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as strong financial technical skills.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Leading oversight of financial and compliance performance across the West Africa CSSF portfolio, including delivering through a West Africa CSSF Finance Assistant, and supporting a Sahel finance officer based in Bamako and the CSSF lead in Freetown. You will need to proactively ensure compliance with all financial risk management and audit requirements, advising on and escalating any identified risks and identified areas for improvement as necessary;
- Leading on providing financial reports to the CSSF Africa Team in London across the West Africa portfolio, coordinating with others in the team;
- Ensuring programme management cycle principles and best practice are applied to support delivery of projects in line with annual milestones and targets;
- Providing or supporting the production of accurate and timely financial and compliance reports for the Nigeria, Sahel and Sierra Leone strategy boards, presenting information in a clear and accessible way to inform strategic decisions;
- Improving regional capability on finance, procurement and risk management by sharing guidance, tools and training opportunities;
- Ensuring and implementing all necessary pre-contract compliance requirements such as due diligence and audit processes to protect programme funds,
- Maintaining and managing relationships with suppliers, implementing partners and programme managers professionally and effectively to ensure value for money, minimising the occurrence of fraud and inefficiencies;
- The post holder will have line management responsibility for the West Africa Finance and Programme Assistant and will be the countersigning officer for the Sahel Finance and Programme Officer in Bamako.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- A2L West Africa Programme and Finance Assistant; oversight of ca. £35mn CSSF budget