Save the Children invests in childhood - every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission. Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015. Facts About Nigeria More than 173 Million people live there The average girl stays in school only until she's 9 123 out of 1000 children die before their 5th birthday A parent earns an average of just $4 a day Our Work Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001. We're helping to improve health systems in northern Nigeria to delivery maternal, newborn, and child health services, including the revival of routine immunization.
Job Title: Finance Coordinator
Job Type: Contract
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Field: Finance / Accounting / Audit , NGO/Non-Profit
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- The Finance Coordinator role will support the Humanitarian Finance Manager in the relevant geographic area in emergency response programmes in delivering the Finance teams’ objectives in a timely and accurate manner
- Supervise the Finance officer(s) and Finance Assistant(s) ensure that processing and reporting deadlines are fully met; financial controls and procedures are strictly adhered to by all field office staff
- The main responsibilities of this post will vary according to the terms of reference for each assignment
- The post-holder is likely to undertake senior deployments.
Scope of Role
Reports to: Humanitarian Finance Manager
Dimensions: Direct reporting
Staff directly reporting to this post: Finance Officers and Finance Assistants
Technical responsibility: Yes
Budget responsibility: None
Key Areas of Accountability
Financial Reporting and Control:
- Prepare and Monitor accurate and timely submission of financial reports and attachments to members, donors and government regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for checking and verifying the food voucher e-payment to beneficiaries on all humanitarian cash transfer awards.
- Compile Monthly transaction listings for review by the budget holders and provide upon request by the budget holders.
- Provide the budget holders a monthly update on the budget variance analysis.
- Review and signs off purchase orders and represent Finance at Procurement Committee Meetings
Budget Management, Monitoring and Control:
- Support the Humanitarian Finance Manager in the master budget development for the response
- Support budget holders in the proposal budget costings, creating Reporting Templates and DEAs
- Support budget holders in the understanding of budget reports including phasing and re-phasing of budgets
- Support budget holder in the realignment of budgets
- Support the Humanitarian Finance manager in the preparation of the field office Budget with potential gaps actively highlighted and communicated for inclusion in new proposals.
- Provide support to budget holders in reviewing and understanding monthly financial budget monitoring reports and follow up on any recommended action points.
- Provide support to Humanitarian Finance Manager with advice/training to budget holders on budget management and phasing.
Audit & Evaluation:
- Assist with the Internal and External audit preparations including putting together relevant documentation and TOR for the Audit
- Ensures humanitarian grants audits are conducted effective
- Follow up on audit issues and provide appropriate response with support from Humanitarian Finance Manager.
Internal: All sub and area office staff.
External: Bank / Auditors