Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Manager
Jobv Ref: FINAN01742
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full-Time
- The objective of the West Africa Trade and Investment Activity is to improve private sector competitiveness with a focus on increasing the agricultural productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers in Nigeria, while promoting West Africa’s regional and international trade.
- The Activity comprises of three main components: (i) design of a Competitiveness Fund for private sector partnerships; (ii) administration of the Competitiveness Fund to develop private sector partnerships and provide grants; and (iii) technical assistance (TA) that directly supports, coordinates, and organizes qualifying recipients (i.e., partners and grantees) to achieve USAID’s trade and food security objectives.
- The Trade Hub will contribute to both USAID/Nigeria’s Feed the Future objectives related to increasing the agricultural competitiveness of smallholder farmers in Nigeria as well as USAID/West Africa’s objective to increase broad-based growth and resilience.
- The Finance Manager will assist the Director, Finance in developing and managing the project’s financial systems.
- S/he will work under the supervision of the Director, Finance and will support them in all matters related to financial management, financial reporting, and subcontracting.
- S/he will also assist Director Finance in ensuring sufficient funds are available for effective and efficient implementation of project activities and support programs.
- Specific areas of responsibility include financial report preparation, review and submission to headquarters and cash flow management.
- Supervise and ensure day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions are performed in compliance with internal and client’s policies and procedures;
- Ensure funds’ availability and verify that all procurement and Grants-Under-Contract actions are compliant with internal and client’s financial management guidelines;
- Ensure that all accounting data is updated, reconciled and fully supported with backup documents;
- Ensure timely processing of staff payroll, allowances and other reimbursements;
- Oversee financial and administrative functions of the execution of grants to all local IPs; and
- Monitor program and operational forecasting, establish and maintain cash controls to ensure supply of adequate funds.
- Lead a team of finance professionals responsible for accounting and financial management;
- Develop staff by encouraging individuals to be self-motivated and take responsibility for their contributions to the finance team; and
- Conduct timely performance reviews and provide performance feedback/training to the staff.
- Manage the finance department to meet financial reporting requirements, ensuring that all financial reports are submitted on or before deadline;
- Produce segregated finance records at the request of Director, Finance such as expenses for specific locations or grants;
- Ensure accurate and smooth month and year-end closing and reporting within agreed schedules; and
- Provide financial status of project expenses and budget information when required by Director, Finance.
- Assist in preparation of budgets, monitor, review and revise as required in consultation with the Director, Finance; and
- Prepare Budget vs. Actual analysis and report variances to Director, Finance.
Internal Controls and Compliance:
- Ensure proper controls are maintained within Finance department, supervise finance staff; segregate their duties to ensure proper internal controls;
- Ensure compliance with local laws, particularly on withholding taxes;
- Ensure timely deposit of withholding taxes and reporting to Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS);
- Alert potential non-compliance financial issues to the attention of Director, Finance;
- Coordinate with Program and Grant Teams to establish proper controls for grants management;
- Establish procedures and forms for requesting and issuance of advances for program needs; and
- Ensure and routinely test for maintenance of audit-ready documentation.