Since 1979, we have helped people grappling with the toughest hardships survive - and then thrive. That’s the heart of our approach: We help communities turn crisis into opportunity. Throughout our history, Mercy Corps has demonstrated innovation, timeliness and the ability to adapt quickly to changing realities.
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2020/00025
Location: North Borno Location TBD , Nigeria.
Position Status Full-time or Part-time
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps' internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Deputy Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will assist the Finance department to ensure the accuracy and completeness of accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle and the routine daily accounting tasks and payment.
- The Finance Officer will assist in review and analyze records, reports, financial statements and management practices to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Finance And Accounting Management:
- Assist in the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders and payment requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and project .
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Ensure the on-time submission of the monthly/quarterly/year-end reporting packages and ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledgers, and all supporting documentation.
- Ensure all staff advances are tracked and cleared on time.
- Manage the archiving of all financial documents and follow up with staff for any missing documents.
- Assist in the training and support of the finance assistant, including answering daily questions,
- Ensure the petty cash count performed on time (weekly and monthly).
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Assist in the training of support staff on Finance related matters and give any financial operational support needed.
- Deploy to the other field when needs gaps are arise.
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries.
- Assist the Finance department to enhance the efficient of existing control systems.
Grants and Compliance Management:
- Monitoring and tracking the stock of the program vouchers and ensure all the supporting documents are in place before any vouchers released.
- Assist in preparing the voucher reconciliation reports to the respective managers after the deputy Finance Manager approval, and follow up with any enquires from program.
- Coordinate with Deputy Finance Manager, and provide close monitoring for program voucher activities and make sure all vouchers activities are follow the Cash SoPs.
- Assist the team in reviewing vouchers contracts.
- Support the capacity-building program for Mercy Corps Staff as well as vendors.
Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Deputy Finance Manager, Maiduguri.
Works Directly With: Maiduguri Finance team, program and operational teams in North Borno, Nigeria.