Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator
Job Reference: SRH03519
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 12 months
About the mission
- Since August 2016, Solidarités International (SI) has been working in North East Nigeria, mainly in Borno. The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, RRM, food security and livelihood, through the current implementation of 6 programs.
- This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure a humanitarian impact. The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles, and there are some positions on turnover.
About the job
- The FSL coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of FSL.
- He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of FSL activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of FSL programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of FSL.
- Strategic orientation
- Relevance and quality of projects
- Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
- Personnel management
- Reporting / communication / representation
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships):
- Line manager: Deputy Country Director for Programs
- Line report(s) on: FSL team (direct and indirect management)
The main challenges of the position
- The FSL coordinator will be leading FSL interventions of SI in Nigeria. The coordinator will be responsible for FSL interventions as a part of ongoing project funded by EuropeAid. SI is working in consortium with ALIMA who is lead on the partnership.
- The FSL coordinator will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travel to locations of ongoing/proposed work. This is a challenging position requiring a strong proficiency on Project management and FSL technicity, and solid skills and familiarity with country level coordination, in terms of strategy design/development/implementation and context analysis and proposal writing/reporting.
- in terms of management, the good profile would have experience in semi-remote management, big size team, and a solid and proven aptitude in capacity building and technical support to staffs, ideally national and international.
- Finally, it is a challenging position for a senior PM or a coordinator, technical in FSL, who keens field proximity but is able to integrate an overall vision at national level to developed new intervention in the sector.
- He/she is in charge of representing SI in the Coordination mechanism linked to the EU project, FSL sector in Nigeria. Coordinating with relevant government departments and coordinating with the other partners as per need.
- He/she is in charge of proper reporting and communication associated with FSL interventions of SI
- He/she is in charge of strategy, coordination, assessment and development of FSL component of SI
- He/she is the mission’s FSL technical referent
- He/She is responsible for capacity building of SI teams on FSL
- Lead development of SI Nigeria strategy on FSL and associated action plans.
- Participation in the strategic orientation of SI in the country and support the identification of uncovered needs and provision of risk analyses on FSL
- Support the harmonization of programmatic tools and guidelines across the teams and the bases
- Ensure strong external coordination with our consortium partners, EU, MRRR, FSL sector and other relevant stakeholders
- Ensure that FSL interventions and teams are coordinating well with other SI teams
- Ensure that SI’s capacities (includes tools, procedures and capacities) are raised on its ability to manage large scale FSL programs.
- To explore and strengthen strategic synergies of FSL with other interventions of SI in the area.
Implementation Goals/ Priorities for the Assignment:
- Ensure meeting of deadlines associated with ongoing FSL programme.
- Increased emphasis on coordination with external stakeholders
- Improve internal collaboration with support department
- Emphasis on timely and quality reporting
- Lead development of SI Nigeria FSL strategy
- Lead the process of developing strategy, action plan on livelihoods and support the team in implementing the same
- Support in exploring FSL needs in Borno
- Support in developing proposals as per need