The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Abuja Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Forensic Program Assistant
- In his/her role as a Forensic Program Assistant, he/she assists the ICRC in the implementation of forensic programs/activities in the Abuja delegation, with a view to reaching the objectives set within the delegation's PfR.
- The Forensic Program Assistant is part of the forensic team within the delegation. He/she assists the Forensic Specialist 2 in formulating program/project, policies/proposals, and helps ensure the integration of the ICRC forensic programs within the delegation.
- When required, he/she represents the ICRC towards external interlocutors as well as in various fora relevant to his responsibilities and tasks, under supervision of the Forensic Specialist 2.
- As a residential employee, providing contextualized advice to the Forensic Specialist 2 on the judicial and medico-legal systems as it pertains to missing persons and death enquiries is expected.
In coordination with the Forensic Specialist 2, and with the aforementioned necessary oversight and guidance, he/she:
- Contributes to the forensic analysis of the context by maintaining an overview of the forensic situation in the contexts covered by the Abuja delegation, including the collection, analysis, and archiving of data relevant to the forensic program
- Works effectively within relevant programs to advance issues related to forensic science, namely with the Missing file and supporting advocacy for management of the dead and the right to know
- Builds and maintains professional relationships with the authorities and other stakeholders while representing the ICRC
- Contributes to the organising of training courses and working groups, in particular dealing with practical preparations and follow up with participants and other necessary persons/structures in advance of and following the course or meeting
- Assists in the implementation of ICRC’s Forensic Strategy (delegation, regional and institutional) and activities related to this file
- Assists in the RBM project management cycle under request and guidance of the Forensic Specialist 2
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development