Our Political Section is responsible for political relations between the UK and Nigerian Governments. They monitor the political situation in Nigeria and seek to strengthen the bilateral relationship. The Consular Section at the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos, and our consular network throughout the country, provide assistance to British nationals visiting or living in Nigeria. All consular assistance enquiries should be directed to Lagos.
Job Title: Freight / Corporate Services Officer
Job ref: 11/20 LOS
Grade: A2 (L)
Start Date: 4th May 2020
Type of Position: Full-time, Permanent
Type of Post: British Deputy High Commission
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Deputy High Commission (BDHC), Lagos employs over 170 staff, delivering a number of projects and services across West Africa. The Mission is part of a wider Nigeria Network and operates in partnership with colleagues in the British High Commission, Abuja. Our Corporate Services team is the core of BDHC and responsible for the entire operational platform including Estates, Transport, IT, Finance, HR and Protocol / Freight.
The successful candidate will provide administrative support across the Corporate Services department with a key focus on the core administrative functions within the Protocol / Freight team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Preparation of Import and Export clearance documentation
- Establish and maintain useful contacts at the Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Customs Service and Nigeria Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Follow up of approvals with relevant government ministries, departments and agencies including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Liaising with clearing agents over clearance of general goods including personal effects, motor vehicles, furniture / fittings, medical supplies and perishables and supervising their delivery
- Carry out goods inspection at the air and seaports as required
- Registration of diplomatic vehicles with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, obtain vehicle travel documents and maintenance of an up to date vehicle list for the Mission.
- Processing and obtaining re-entry visas and diplomatic identity cards for members of the UK staff
- Line Manage 2 S1 officers
- Processing and obtaining container demurrage refunds from shipping lines
- Maintain accurate container return record
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Freight and Travel Manager
- Provide admin support across the Corporate Services department as required
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure):
- 2 x Junior Officers