The North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria - An International Development Organization is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender and Community Development Assistant
Location: Borno and Yobe State (expected prolonged travel to northern Borno and Yobe)
Contract Term: Consultant
Duration: Six (6) months
Slot: 2 Openings
This program seeks is to design and implement activities that will collectively empower women and girls through Capacity & Coalition building in targeted communities. The efforts include identifying community related activities and developing curriculum activities that will address issues around women and girls’ vulnerability. In addition, establish various platforms/ groups of women within the community which gives women and girls a safe space to discuss and address issues on vulnerabilities and as well encourage women involvement within their communities.
Scope of Work/Primary Responsibilities
- The Gender and Community Development Assistant (GCDA) will work under the supervision of NERI Program Manager and closely with the Gender and Capacity Building Specialist (GCBS) to support the implementation of activities in targeted communities to establish Capacity & Coalition building of women/girls within Northeast Nigeria (Borno and Yobe).
- The GCDA will be responsible for summarizing, developing and submitting community-based ideas for activities concepts. The GCDA will interact with the women/girls’ clusters, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), community-based organizations (CBOs) and other groups implementing similar or potential activities.
- The GCDA will also provide community-based support to NERI Program Manager and the Gender and Capacity Building Specialist (GCBS) in monitoring all activities and sessions held by the women/girls’ clusters and serve as points-of-contact to NERI programs and monitoring and evaluation staff.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The GCDA will report directly to NERI Program Manager but work closely with the GCBS
- The duration for this activity will initially be for 6 months with possibility of extension.
- Borno: Kareto, Gubio, Damasak, Mongonu, Shuwa Communities, Maiduguri
- Yobe: Geidam and Kanama
- Work with the NERI Program Manager and the GCBS to identify and develop concepts to support the women/girls’ curriculum activities
- Support NERI Program Manager and the GCBS in the monitoring and implementation of program Activities.
- Liaise with women groups, NGOs, CBOs and other community stakeholders to identify potential vulnerabilities raised during the sessions.
- Attend an introductory and a follow-up meeting with the GCBS to identify relevant sessions in the curriculum to be integrated, as well as understand specific needs and expectations.
- Facilitate linkages between communities as needed
- Support to identify existing interventions that relate to women and girls, while engaging the women to discuss issues that relate to violence and vulnerabilities
- Attend all cluster sessions held in the communities to inform/derive program activities and send weekly reports to NERI Program Manager and the GCBS.
- Submit a monthly report on all activities and findings.