World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: GIS Specialist (Geographical Information System)
Ref Id: 1905213
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration: 12 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the programme
The objective of the post is to provide technical GIS/data management support to WHO-EPI country office and national EOC by:
- Ensuring availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the Polio Eradication program
- Conducting all round GIS/Spatial data analysis of the polio related data sets,
- Monitoring the availability of latest polio related data sets in the EOC Web portal,
- Managing the special intervention data from security compromised areas, including Borno,
- supporting the effort of data team as a member of different working groups, including Nomadic Working Group, GIS Working Group, and Household Enumeration; and
- Supporting establishment of environmental surveillance through GIS technology
Description of duties
- Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and Technical supervision of EPI focal point and direct supervision of country office monitoring and evaluation officer the incumbent will carry out the following specific task:
- Provide technical GIS/DM support to EOC and its working groups (Strategy Group, Operation Working Group, Communication Working Group, and Surveillance Working Group)
- Track and obtain missing or incomplete settlements using VTS during Ds/OBRs
- Support in capacity building training in data management, GIS, and transition of new technologies including VTS to government personnel
- Prepare post campaign summary report and present to members of the EOC within agreed timeline
- Make sure campaign related final data sets are cleaned and uploaded to the EOC portal and extract specific data set from the portal if requested by partners and approved by the Incident manager.
- Conduct detailed analysis using multiple data layers and produce spatial maps showing triangulated data sets for decision.
- Ensure quality pre, intra and post campaign data is made available in time for regular and adhoc analysis as requested by Strategy, Operation and other partners/donors
- Support identification of Priority LGA for vaccination tracking system and ensure state and implementing partners are informed in good time. Ensure missed settlement list from the VTS is shared timely and monitor feedback from respective states.
- Participate in biweekly Borno GIS partner call and ensure all mapping products are appropriately used at national and state EOC level
- Produce different maps with multiple layers and triangulate data sets that can show program performance and identify potential gaps for action
- Prepare large scale maps and posters for display at different conferences and stakeholder meetings
- Perform other activities as required by EPI Team leader and WHO REpresentative.