Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Government Relations Officer
Location: Minna, Niger
Duration: Full-time job.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
- One Acre Fund is a rapidly growing organization; increasing the number of clients we serve in each year and the number of countries in which we operate. One Acre Fund is seeking a Government Relations Officer (GRO) to be based in Minna, who will serve as the primary point of contact for the local Ministry of Agriculture and other government officials, traditional leaders and external stakeholders, helping to establish our program in Nigeria.
- This role will be reporting to the One Acre Fund’s Government Relations Analyst based in Abuja, as well as to the Nigeria Country Manager based in Minna. The successful applicant will demonstrate a strong understanding of local government structures, a strong work ethic, have an interest in agriculture, be prepared to travel regularly in Niger State and be a clear and effective communicator.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage stakeholders and local government officials of all levels with a view to deepening and broadening One Acre Fund’s local government network in Nigeria.
- Create project plans and budgets, and effectively manage concurrent projects
- Support the scoping, development and management of program partnerships, with support from manager.
- Produce communications materials to engage key contacts and keep them informed of our work, including quarterly reports, briefing notes and official written correspondence.
- Provide trainings to One Acre Fund staff on best practices for working with government officials, and other capacity building support, as needed.
- Track and manage risks and issues from local government affecting field operations.
- Track and manage One Acre Fund’s database of key contacts and interactions in Nigeria.
- Host key stakeholder events (e.g. field visits) and oversee participation in agricultural shows and other external events. Ensure proper government protocols are observed at all hosted events.
- Assist program expansion through relationship management with relevant authorities in new or targeted areas of operation.
- Track and (as needed) renew licenses and permits required for our operations.
- Research and analyze policies, regulations, programs and political developments relevant to field operations.
- Continually engage field leadership to remain informed of the latest developments with our program and trials, through:
- Regular attendance at FO/Field Leader Meetings
- Monthly meetings with Field Team and Innovations lead(s)
- Other duties, as assigned.