Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
In order to maintain One Acre Fund's ambitious growth trajectory, the New Country Expansion team has identified Nigeria as a critical country to expand to, and we have begun our pilot program in Minna, Niger State.
One Acre Fund is seeking an exceptional government and community affairs professional with 2-3 years of experience to grow our network of relationships in Niger State and support the growth and viability of our pilot operations in Nigeria.
One Acre Fund is a growing organization; increase the number of clients we serve in each year and the number of countries in which we operate. One Acre Fund is looking for a Government Relations Specialist (GRS) to be based in Minna, who will be the primary contact for the local Ministry of Agriculture and other government officials, traditional leaders and external partners, establishing our program in Nigeria.
You will report to the One Acre Fund’s Government Relations Analyst based in Abuja, and to the Nigeria Country Manager based in Minna. You will demonstrate an understanding of local government structures, have an interest in agriculture, be prepared to travel frequently within Niger State.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Engage partners and local government officials of all levels with a view to deepening and broadening One Acre Fund’s State and local government networks in Nigeria.
- Create project plans and budgets, and manage concurrent projects
- Support the scoping, development and management of program partnerships, with support from manager.
- Produce communications materials to engage important contacts and keep them informed of our work, including quarterly reports, briefing notes and official written correspondence.
- Provide trainings to One Acre Fund staff on best practices for working with government officials, and other capacity building support.
- Manage issues from local government affecting field operations.
- Manage One Acre Fund’s database of important contacts and interactions in Nigeria.
- Host important partner events (e.g. field visits) and oversee participation in agricultural shows and other external events. Ensure government protocols are observed at all hosted events.
- Assist program expansion through relationship management with relevant authorities in new or targeted areas of operation.
- Track and renew licenses and permits required for our operations.
- Research policies, regulations, programs and political developments relevant to field operations.
- Engage field leadership to remain informed of the latest developments with our program and trials, through:
- Regular attendance at FO/Field Leader Meetings
- Monthly meetings with Field Team and Innovations lead(s)
- Other responsibilities, as assigned.
If you have experience in these areas, please highlight them in your application.
One Acre Fund invests in building management capacity. We provide constant, relevant feedback delivered through weekly meetings and regular career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible.
Determined by experience
Health insurance, paid time off, relocation allowance
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; Must have existing rights to work in Nigeria.