Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Grants Manager
Job Reference: SRH03631
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 9 months (renewable)
About the mission in Nigeria
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Seven programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul in consortium with ALIMA and funded by EuropeAid
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO - in consortium with ALIMA in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa funded by CDC
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala funded by NHF
This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure a humanitarian impact. The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 200
- The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
About the job
As part of the coordination team and reporting to the Deputy CD, and working closely with the program and support departments at coordination level, as well as the base teams, the Grant Manager is the mission’s focal point on ensuring accountability to donors. Specifically, he/she is in charge of:
- Contributing to the mission’s strategic development.
- Monitoring and identifying funding opportunities in line with SI country and global strategy.
- Overseeing compilation of timely and high quality proposals, reports and contract modification requests for submission to donors and consortium partners.
- Monitoring compliance with donor procedures throughout the grant cycle and building capacity of new and existing staff on internal accountability tools and donor procedures.
- Proactively following-up on donor contractual obligations, from contracting to closing and archiving, and ensuring contractual obligations are known and understood by relevant staff/departments.
- Centralizing and preparing relevant documentation for external audits and audit report archiving.
- Managing the Reporting Officer and Communication Officer
The Main Tasks
- Contributes to the CD/DCD’s representation with donors by providing briefing papers and accompanying meetings as requested.
- Supervise the development of communication materials (by the Reporting and Communication Officer) targeting donors and other external partners.
- Actively monitors and identifies funding opportunities from SI institutional donors, new institutional donors, funding from foundations and private donors as well as co-funding opportunities.
- Analyzes funding opportunities and eligibility in line with SI country and global strategy.
Document Development and Review:
- Coordinates the dialogue between departments in the response design phase and coordinates the involvement of consortium partners.
- Monitors the retro planning for concept note, proposal, and report writing.
- Compiles all contributions (from relevant departments and implementing partners) to draft high quality concept notes, and proposals – including corresponding annexes.
- Reviews, proofreads and finalizes proposal narratives and budgets before submission to HQ, ensuring compliance with internal and donor requirements, in close consultation with other departments.
- Finalizes narrative and financial reports (interim and final) before submission to HQ or donor.
- For submission at field level (including submission via online donor platforms), submits proposals/reports to donor.
- Introduce or disseminate tools and methodologies to improve project implementation follow-up/ good grant management.
- Contributes to reviewing terms of contract with donors or prime recipients before signature.
- Facilitates kick-off meetings to disseminate contractual obligations to all relevant staff.
- Coordinates contract amendment requests, budget or schedule revisions.
- In collaboration with the Finance coordinator, follows-up on requests for installments/funds.
- Monitors validation by the donor of final reports and last payment - closure of the grant.
- Facilitates project pre-closure and closure meetings.
- Collaborates with the coordination team to ensure due diligence and vetting of potential partners is conducted.
- When SI works with implementing partners, ensures donor contractual obligations explicitly appear on partners’ sub-award agreements and monitors partners' compliance.
- Answers to due diligence exercises conducted by donors or Prime recipients.
- Provides trainings to new and existing staff on donor accountability tools and donor procedures.
- Works closely with all relevant departments to proactively and regularly monitor programmatic compliance in accordance with donor requirements (progress against indicators, project schedule, facilitate project review meetings).
- Monitors and disseminates reporting, proposal and audit deadlines to all relevant staff.
Internal and External Communication:
- Ensure content (articles, pictures) are provided on a regular basis to the communication department, and are compliant with contractual obligations.
- Ensure the proofreading of articles and the sharing of information in collaboration with the Country Director and communication department.
- Monitors and disseminates deadlines for incoming audits, liaises with the Transparency and Institutional Development department at HQ to plan the audit and contract with the audit firm (if relevant).
- Centralizes and prepares documentation for external audits at field level, files the audit report.