Our vision Since 1993, as the second French NGO, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. Our values Independent, private and nonprofit, French NGO ACTED (operating under the French law Association loi 1901) respects a strict political and religious impartiality, and operates following principles of non-discrimination, transparency, according to its core values: responsibility, impact, enterprising-spirit and inspiration.
Job Title: H2R Field Assistant
- REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
- The crisis in North-East Nigeria is now in its 10th year, with 1.88 million people displaced across the three states of Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa. Borno state hosts the largest proportion of these (1.4 million people). In Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States, Kukawa, Monguno, Mafa, Dikwa, Bama, Gwoza, Damboa, Gujba, Tarmwa, Maiha, Nusman, Song, Yola South and Fufore LGAs have all seen significant increases in the number of IDPs in accessible areas who are primarily originating from Hard to Reach (H2R) areas. While there is a considerable amount of information related to the needs and conditions of IDPs (as well as returnees and non-displaced populations, thanks in part to the ongoing efforts of REACH) in these accessible areas, despite the availability of information sources – the recently displaced populations themselves – there is an evident lack of information on populations remaining in H2R areas.
- UNOCHA estimates that 820,000 individuals remain isolated in areas inaccessible to the humanitarian response and with limited access to basic services such as health care and education. Specific conditions and needs of the population in hard to reach settlements remain unknown, and population figures, well as demographic composition and status (non-displaced, IDP, returnee), are formulated with little actual knowledge of the situation.
- In recognition of the urgent need for data in further areas of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, REACH intends to expand data collection in secure locations of Maiduguri, Monguno, Pulka, Mafa, Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Damasak, Rann, Banki, Gwoza, Mubi and Gujba in 2018-20. Through an H2R assessment approach, REACH will provide regular, reliable indicative tracking of humanitarian needs over time, to support in prioritization and identification of “hot-spot” areas witnessing a deterioration of humanitarian needs. To ensure this data is directly informing humanitarian response planning, data will be shared through formal coordination structures, such as OCHA, the Inter-Sector Working Group (ISWG), and relevant sectors, with feedback from partners used for both triangulations of gathered data as well as to inform research design and geographical targeting.
- Considering the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED/REACH has an Office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED/REACH is therefore looking for a REACH Field Assistant, Maiduguri to support its operations in the most affected states.
About the job
- The REACH Field Assistant will lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators. They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
The H2R Field Assistant shall be responsible for:
- Cover remote data collection and quality assurance
- Local Engagement
- Managing enumeration teams
- Cover other field locations and in-person data collection when needed
- Field FLATS support (finance, logistics, administration, and security)
- Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
Managing enumeration teams:
- The H2R Field Assistant will primarily be leading remote data collection but also lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals when needed and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators.
- They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
Data collection and quality:
- The H2R Field Assistant will primarily be leading remote data collection over the phone Depending on the needs they will also cover in-person data collection in various field locations.
- During remote date collection they are responsible for maintaining a good relation to local guides and other stakeholders in the field. In case of in-person data collection they are responsible for ensuring the enumerators are following data collection procedures, conducting monthly trainings on the tool for enumerators and reporting any challenges relating to data collection or quality to the Field Manager.
- They will conduct daily briefings for enumerators to address any problems identified in the email updates from the database unit and Field Manager.
- The H2R Field Assistant will provide FLATS support to the Field Manager by filling and tracking order forms and tracking existing and incoming REACH assets in field locations as needed.
- They will also provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations, identifying accommodations and office space, and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed.
- In coordination with the Field Manager, they will manage the hiring process for enumerators and ensure their payments are processed.
- They will in addition ensure proper documentation of working hours for local guides and that their payments are processed.
- They will communicate challenges relating to FLATS to the Field Manager in a timely manner.
- The H2R Field Assistant will seek to build positive relations with local governments, partners, and other parties.
- They will follow guidelines from the Field Manager and report challenges to the Senior Field Officer and the Field Manager.
- The H2R Field Assistant will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies.