Health+Solve Limited - Our client, a 137 bed specialist Hospital and Medic-care Centre located in Otukpo, Benue State is currently recruiting for qualified, motivated and experienced professionals to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Department (Surgery)
- Reporting To Chief Medical Director Responsible For All members of the General Surgery Dept.
- To provide, in consultation with other colleagues, appropriate Surgical services & interventions to patients of the Hospital & Medi-care Centre designated with responsibility for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness. Focusing on the daily oversight of the Department of Surgery, the Head of Surgery will play an integral role in the Management Team of the Hospital, serving as a mentor, working & training new surgeons and surgical residents.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage, lead & coordinate the personnel and efficient operations of the Hospital’s Surgical Department.
- Perform and/or direct the Hospital’s Surgical Staff to perform a variety of surgical procedures to treat illnesses and injuries.
- Thoroughly counsel patients about the risks of any potential surgical interventions and/or potential complications during post-op; communicate surgical results to patients’ families’ or primary physician(s) through written reports, emails or verbally, either by phone or in person.
- Perform post-op examinations of patients prior to releasing them from care; scheduling follow-up visits with patients where required to ensure proper healing and continuing health.
- Work in close co-operation with and support other clinical & medical professionals and colleagues across the Organization to provide patients with high quality surgical care and services of the highest standard.
- Take assigned surgical calls as per Hospital/department guidelines.
- Undertake all work in accordance with contractual requirements and the Hospital’s standard operating procedures and policies.
- Develop, receive approval and communicate Standard Operations Policies (SOPs) and procedures for the Department.
- Timely completion of required patient documentation in the Hospital’s Medical Record system
- Participate in departmental consultant and senior staff meetings; attend other departmental and management meetings as required.
- Collaborate with Management in the efficient running of Hospital’s Surgery Department services and the Hospital in general.
Quality and Standards:
- Develop and maintain good work practices for the Department and the Hospital in general.
- Establish, maintain & actively promote quality-related goals and Departmental compliance to Organizational and professional standards of conduct and practice.
- Promptly address, resolve and/or escalate where necessary all complaints and concerns about the Surgical Department.
- Provide medical information from the Surgical Department’s experiences for the development of systems to support the Organization’s service delivery quality and standards.
- Work actively to reduce unintended harm to patients.
- Consistently exercise a general duty of care for the health, safety and wellbeing of work colleagues, visitors and patients and oneself.
People Management & Personal Development:
- In conjunction with the HR Department, recruit and engage qualified personnel to fill available job openings in the Department as they arise.
- Actively contribute to the training & development of departmental staff and colleagues when required.
- Be responsible for own personal development by attending accredited conferences and meetings to update one’s clinical knowledge, coaching and management skills in line with CME requirements.