UN Women - In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HeForShe Programme Intern
Location: Abuja, Njigeria
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial duration of 3 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- Created by UN Women, the HeForShe solidarity movement for gender equality provides a systematic approach and targeted platform on which men and boys can engage and become change agents towards the achievement of gender equality. HeForShe invites men and boys to build on the work of the women’s movement as equal partners, crafting and implementing a shared vision of gender equality that will benefit all of humanity. For more information, visit http://www.heforshe.org/en
- In this context, UN Women Nigeria Country Office is looking for a creative and dynamic intern to work directly under the supervision of the Country Representative and Deputy Country Representative (as appropriate), in support of implementing the HeForShe Strategy, including launching of the Campaign at state levels, managing Gender Champions and celebrity relations, as well as the development of innovative fundraising strategies. Intern must have a "can-do" attitude and be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Develop an understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Stakeholder mapping and preparation of outreach materials;
- Preparation of briefing notes on strategic partners and potential donors;
- Support for gender champions and celebrity outreach efforts;
- Assist with planning of HeForShe events at state and national levels;
- Manage databases of sponsors and supporters and share relevant correspondence to meet their needs;
- Increase understanding of HeForShe campaign and its mission;
- Develop skills to deliver quality products and guidance on their use in an international environment;
- Build and develop professional relationships with UN Women colleagues in other units, and work as a team member in a multicultural setting;
- Develop event management skills;
- Increase outreach skills, data management skills.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Organizational Awareness
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Development and Innovation
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
- Work in teams
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Work and drive progress both in teams and independently;
- Have an analytical and methodological mindset;
- Understand the nature of development programme work and what development results are;
- Knowledge of results-based management;
- Be a self-starter and work in a structured and organized way;
- Advanced user in Excel and/or other data handling and statistical programmes.