The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Helper (Cook), G1
Ref Id: 106362
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Slot: 2 Openings
- This job is found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) and Field Offices (FOs). Job holders report to the Administration Associate or the designate. This job require a good physical fit to lift and handle heavy items and work in all types of weather conditions.
- To support site maintenance services in providing cleaning, laundry, basic garden maintenance, porter duties and other related manual work, to ensure WFP premises are well-organised, kept in a clean & hygienic condition and are in compliance with the established standards.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
Reporting to the Admin officer, the staff will perform the following functions:
- Ensure highest standards of personal hygiene, including showering and changing of personal and work clothes on a daily basis.
Food Hygiene Cooking & Handling:
- Using the Guesthouse contributions, ensure that sufficient food is procured and available to be cooked when needed (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) Mondays through Sundays.
- Ensure that the kitchen facilities are always clean and disinfected, including the floor, kitchenstove, kitchen shelves, kitchen pantry, kitchen refrigerator and kitchen freezer.
- Ensure that the crockery, cutlery, utensils and other cooking items are spotless clean at all times
- Ensure food is washed properly before cooking
- Ensure food is served in clean serving pots
- Ensure food is stored in the appropriate storage spaces including refrigerators, freezers and food pantry shelves for dry foods
- Ensure that food is served in the appropriate and clean hot pots.
- For example, every meal must have - salad, starch, protein and desert/fruits
Beverages' Hygiene, Preparation & Handling:
- Ensure that all beverages are handled with proper hygiene standards, including using clean utensils for serving and storage.
- Ensure that freshly prepared beverages such as fruit juices (smoothies) are handled with the required and appropriate care following high hygiene standards of washing the fruits well before use.
- Ensure clear communication both written and verbal to the Supervisor, Guesthouse residents, Co-workers (Cooks) and other staff at the Guesthouse.
- Report any issues that require the Supervisor's attention or decision
- Report all food contributions and expenditures in the appropriate ledger for the Supervisor's review including other Guesthouse residents who may be interested to review.
- Establish a team work relationship with other Cooks and Assistant Cooks
- Establish and build on good working relationships with the Guesthouse residents and fully understand their food requirements, meal schedules etc.
- Work with other cleaning personnel who support the Guesthouse on general hygiene standards to promote high quality staff wellness.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the Supervisor or the Guesthouse residents.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.