Egbin Power Plc., a subsidiary of the Sahara Power Group housed along the Lagos Lagoon, is one of the biggest additions to the electricity industry in Nigeria. Presently, the largest privately owned generating power station in Sub-Saharan Africa with an Installed Capacity of 1320 MW. Egbin Power Plant was built to meet the ever rising demand for electricity in Lagos and its environs with plans to expand its generation capacity to exceed 5,000MW within the next five years.
Job Title: HSE Officer
Location: Ikorodu, Lagos
Job Type: Full Time
- To support in the provision of plant safety by ensuring facility & employee compliance with corporate safety standards; implement safety directives and improve plant safety performance.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all applicable workplace safety laws and regulations in the country
- Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices
- Conduct safety analysis (for work permits and other routine analyses.
- Conduct risk assessment of non-routine jobs within the facility.
- Monitoring or work activities within the facilities to ensure compliance to safe work ethics.
- Conduct daily routine monitoring and maintenance of firefighting equipment to ensure readiness for use.
- Provide periodic reports on safety performance
- Facilitate a work environment that supports a safe and healthy culture
- Conduct or coordinate worker training in areas such as safety laws and regulations, hazardous condition monitoring, and use of safety equipment.
- Perform and coordinate emergency response drills
- Respond to reported cases of unsafe acts and unsafe conditions.
- Participate in the removal and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Create report of HSE activities for review by Head, HSE.
- Perform safety audits and inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance
- Investigate industrial accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injuries to determine causes, install preventive measures, and manage return-to-work activities
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to employees on safety initiatives and necessary changes
- Coordinate employee safety programs.
- Contribute towards the actualization of ISO 14001 and 45001 certifications; arrange for OSHA-mandated testing and/or evaluations.
- Conduct HSE induction for new hires
- Carry out risk assessment of the plant, equipment and work area.
- Support the development of Organizational Health & Safety policies and programs.