Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The position of the Human Resources Manager will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State with field visits to COOPI bases in Yobe state (Damaturu, Potiskum and Gashua) and in Borno field locations.
- The HR Manager will closely work with the Head of Mission and the Country Administrator to support COOPI offices in Nigeria to manage, develop and administer policies and programs covering recruitment, wage and salary administration, training, employee relations, and benefits.
- He/She will work closely with the Head of Mission, the Country Administrator and the Program Managers on the recruitment process and the development of plans and strategies to meet organizational requirements and ensure the program policies and practices comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Additionally, he/she will be responsible for recording and updating the training, motivation, and evaluation of employees to meet COOPI Nigeria’s strategic goals and objectives.
- The position of HR Manager is a key role within the mission, requiring the necessary activities outlined in this job description to be fulfilled. It is expected that the person successful for the role will have the ability to improve and develop the functions of this position within the organization.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Country Administrator, and in collaboration with the other collaborators, he/she:
- Develops and implements the HR Country strategy and ensures alignment with the COOPI Country Strategy.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive, integrated and effective Human Resource Management Framework (systems, policies, procedures and periodic plans) covering: Human Resources Policies, Staff Planning, Recruitment, Selection and Deployment, Performance and Reward Management, Learning & Development, Succession Planning and Employee Consultation; ensures all systems and policies address imperatives and remain aligned with the country office’s strategic direction.
- Drives efforts to build a high performing team of staff with an appreciation of country strategy, programme operations, execution excellence, performance management and people development requirements in forging the emergence of a strong COOPI.
- Confer with management to implement a workforce planning system by identifying future staffing needs, including key competencies to support the attainment of Coordination Office objectives.
- Develops a well-formulated and effective succession planning framework (to include e.g. career growth opportunity identification, as well as the targeted development, mentoring, career counselling at all levels).
- Monitors industry salary and benefit levels and movements and recommend adjustments to ensure fair and equitable rewards package that is in line with the COOPI Reward Principles
- Nurtures the relationship with Staff to ensure workplace harmony and peace, as well as effective partnership in the identification of attendant employee issues.
- Monitors the national and local context and labour environment and advise on how COOPI can remain relevant, compliant and competitive.
- Coordinate human resources activities, such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, and performance management.
- Coordinates the recruitment process, which includes placing adverts, dealing with responses and correspondence, facilitating the short listing and interviewing process; where necessary taking part in the interviews.
- Support COOPI Program Managers in all steps related to the selection process.
- Drafting of all new contracts to be submitted for approval and signature of the Head of Mission.
- Maintain contact with Insurance companies
- Maintain contact with Pension companies
- Focal point with FIRS regulations
- Prepare on monthly basis:
- Payroll for staffs
- Invoices for consultants
- Pay slips for staffs
- Pension and PAYE remittance
- Withholding Tax for consultants
- Update the general staff data base for contract durations
- Support COOPI staff in all steps related to annual staff evaluation
- Maintain an updated and organized archive of HR files
- Perform any other action related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the projects and of COOPI Nigeria if requested by his/her supervisor.